Premed 101 Forums

PSL 201

Guest Cloudancing

Guest Cloudancing

Is anyone here taking PSL 201/Human Physiology? If so can you tell me what you thought of it? I want to take this course during the year to avoid taking it during the summer. Any comments would be appreciated.

Guest chiapet921

Hi!

Are you taking PSL201 only to fulfill degree requirements? or do you want to keep taking more physio classes in the future? You can't go anywhere further in physio if you don't have PSL302 since that's the pre-req for more upper-year classes...

I took PSL302 during the summer, and I'm glad that I did as it was much easier to handle than during the academic year...

Guest macdaddyeh

I'm currently enrolled in psl201; it doesn't look too tough and no labs (psl 200 *does* have labs).

It looks like heavy reading but not too brutal (and this is someone with not so much of a science background). Plus its on Tuesdays 6-8 pm (not much of a time committment).

As for U of T admissions and many other schools, physiology may be counted as a "life science."

That said, I would not by any means consider it an easy "bird" course; Multiple choice exams are tough as you likely know.

Maybe I'll see you in class. If so, you haven't missed much..

Guest Cloudancing

@ chiapet921-- I want to take the course as a pre req for another professional program. I want to keep my options open. If I liked physiology enough, I would consider taking the 302 portion. It depends on how it goes.

@macdaddyeh-- I think that the tutorials can actually help a person to do well minus all the quizzes and dumb activities.:b I agree 6-8 is not much of a commitment but it is scary to think that all of the marks are based on test scores. I have to sit and think about this--fast. Before I get behind...What ever happened to the good old participation mark?:\ LoL.

Guest Kirsteen

Hi there cloudancing,

I took PSL201 ages ago, due to its nice evening time section, and my inability to take time off work during the day to take PSL302. First of all, I don't believe that you can take PSL302 if you have already completed PSL201--one used to be an exclusion requirement for the other. However, you can take higher-level PSL courses if you have PSL201, as I managed to enroll in, and complete two fourth year PSL courses, using PSL201 as the pre-requisite.

As to the tests, they really aren't that bad (or at least, they used to not be too bad). The profs always enjoyed placing at least one wee tricky multiple choice question on there which tested your ability to recall some minutiae--I remember one little haematology question, specifically, asking which of "the following four molecules/cells is the smallest".

Cheers,

Kirsteen

Guest LIPOSUCTIONATOR

I took PSL201 2 years ago during the Fall/Winter sessions, and thought it was an easy course.

The reason why I say this is because I only studied off my lecture notes and did well. There is a recommended text by Stuart Ira Fox but it is not very useful in getting a good grade in this course. HOWEVER, it is a good text to have as a reference for general interest.

The good thing about this course is that you get to drop the worst of your three term tests.

Depending on which faculty you're in (Phys Ed, Biomedical Engineering, Pharm, Life Sci, etc.) you get a different evaluation scheme. My faculty required 2 lab tests and I got destroyed in them. Thankfully my term tests and finals brought my mark up.

On an interesting note, the marks of all the faculties are posted on the website and biomed engineering always seems to have the higher averages while Phys Ed always lingers at the bottom.

Any other questions you have about this course, feel free to ask. Also, I hear it's A LOT easier than PSL302, but that's just rumor. There's no way to know unless you've taken both courses.

Guest Cloudancing

@Kirsteen-- Thanks for the comments! The general consensus is that the tests aren't so bad. I guess you just have to prepare for them like any other test. And about 302, I didn't know that 201 was the exclusion to 302. I guess I won't be taking 302. I'm in 2nd yr and I want to enjoy my 2nd yr courses until I cannot take anymore.:D

@LIPSUCTIONATOR-- Cool name! Thank you for commenting as well. I don't know if it will be easy but I was worried that it would be the one course to ruin my average. The 3 test, drop worst one thing is ok. It will help. The course seemed a little complicated at first but now that I started studying its not so bad. I'm not an engineering student. I would call myself a social science and life science person since those are my majors. I think I'll be ok in this class if I keep on top of my work.

I feel much better about joining and staying in that class thanks to all of you guys I hope everything goes great with your academics too!!:) And thank-you!

Archived