Premed 101 Forums

student job

Guest shiro petto

Guest shiro petto

Hello everyone:

I'm currently studying life science (undergraduate) in U of T, and i'm considering to gain more experience from a health-related job, could anyone give me any suggestions about what kind of job is available? is there any website about the student job?

thank you very much, i appreciated for your help

Jessia

Hi shiro,

I think gaining experience in a more applied way is a great way to learn more about your interests. You mention that you are studying life sciences, but not any particular areas that might interest you. There are a lot of different kinds of experiences available to you depending on what you enjoy, from working in a science lab to working in a psychology lab to doing readings for a professor, TA-ing or tutoring a class, volunteering at a hospital--the list goes on.

I think that one of the most accessible jobs for undergraduate students is working in a lab of some sort. Just find a professor that is doing some work you find interesting and ask them if they have any openings. Often they will have work/study jobs available or volunteer positions. I worked for three different professors over three years and learned a lot from each experience.

It's often (though not always) as easy as that.

Good luck.

BJ

Guest mitchie41

I'm not a student at UT, but I am intrested in getting some lab experience.

Does anyone here know if professors are usually willing allow students to volunteer in their lab, even if they're not a part of that department?

Like can someone from stats get a position in Psych, or someone in life sciences in a physics lab?

Thanks.

You can usually work or volunteer in a lab that's not in your own department. Some profs might prefer students in their own department, for various reasons, of course. I did that one summer, and then ended up switching my major to that department soon after :)

Archived