Premed 101 Forums

Tears

The status is not good. Not good at all.

I need a life coach.

Would sending my application in 3 months earlier make enough difference for it to be worth re-applying? I don't know what else I could really change. Maybe apply to some different schools.

Pass the kleenex?

What schools did you apply to and when did you do it?

Vanderbilt, U Chicago, U Penn, Harvard, Stanford, Yale, Dartmouth, & Hopkins. U Penn in hindsight was a poor choice since they don't accept Canadians who studied in Canada. Everything else is fine. The only thing I'd add if I re-applied is a couple NY schools, and maybe Northwestern.

My AMCAS was processed by mid-Sept, and then I sent out my secondaries throughout the fall. Then I had issues with misplaced LORs so I wasn't actually complete at my schools until late November/December. The exception was Vandy which I guess was complete in Sept with my AMCAS primary.

yes, apply way earlier..

and why did you only apply to top tier schools?? Do you have amazing everything?? Apply more broadly (although if you managed to get interviews there then you probably have a shot if you apply earlier...still though...)

yes, apply way earlier..

and why did you only apply to top tier schools?? Do you have amazing everything?? Apply more broadly (although if you managed to get interviews there then you probably have a shot if you apply earlier...still though...)

Definitely got the 'apply way earlier' memo now :)

I applied to top tier schools because those are the only ones I would consider leaving Canada for, and pay a large amount of money for. Given the couple interviews I did have, I think my application is competitive enough for the schools I chose. I guess the problem is that those schools are tougher to get accepted to AFTER an interview, because of the nature of the interviewee pool. So it's still a crapshoot. Don't know what strategy makes sense, given that reality?

So you'd rather not go to med school at all than go to a lower tier school in the U.S.????

Did you get any interviews in Canada??? If you can get interviews at those places in the U.S. I would think you would have a shot at Canadian schools no?

So you'd rather not go to med school at all than go to a lower tier school in the U.S.????

Did you get any interviews in Canada??? If you can get interviews at those places in the U.S. I would think you would have a shot at Canadian schools no?

Point taken, Monster :)

Yeah, I had some. Admissions is so GPA/MCAT-centric in Ontario that if I had to re-apply it would seem a little silly. I meet the cut-offs now, so I don't know why I would be more likely to get in if I re-applied -- a "better" interview? At least when you re-apply to the US there is more of your application you can change to increase your chances, so I guess I'll apply to more US schools like Monster said.

Oh wow, I just realized my MCAT expires so I can't.

Crap.

expiry is dependent on schools

some require 3 years, some 5

don't ask me which, i just know i read varying amounts for different schools when I was going through school sites last year.

you may be ok, depending on your prefs

PS - wanna trade stats? :D

expiry is dependent on schools

some require 3 years, some 5

don't ask me which, i just know i read varying amounts for different schools when I was going through school sites last year.

you may be ok, depending on your prefs

PS - wanna trade stats? :D

oh hey, thanks for that info CAS. just looked through the MSAR and you're right -- there's some variability between schools. not that many options though still... I wrote in Aug 2006 (paper, baby). is anyone else in this boat with old-school MCAT scores?

re: trading stats -- I'll give you 1 GPA point for 1 point in Biological Sciences?

when did you write your mcat tree999? I wrote in september 2007 and i figured even if I did a masters ( so apply in summer of 2010) I would still be OK for most schools (use msar - very handy).

I wrote in August 2006. So my applying in summer 2009 is the same as you applying in summer 2010 --

Checked out the MSAR and after a brief glance, we can't apply to: Stanford, Northwestern, U Chicago, Dartmouth, Cornell, and Mt Sinai. Not too happy about that.

Re-writing the MCAT?? Nooooooooooooo. I'm too scared of doing the computerized test. I'm all about paper.

So I was thinking about re-applying, and then I decided that was lame... and started scheming....

At a lot of schools they have interesting policies where transfers or preferential admissions are considered for compelling personal reasons... such as having a spouse in the faculty....

So does anyone with an acceptance want to get married? I'm looking at you, Silvermen85, because I am partial to the Bay area. Let me know.

still waiting for post-interview decision...is it possible to just never hear back? one girl told me she had a great interview at Drexel and absolutely never heard back from them!

?? I would definitely contact the school once a few weeks have passed without a word.

Archived