Premed 101 Forums

Please help: Should I re-apply--New Canadian immigrant accepted by US med school

First of all, if you are studying at one of the top med schools in the US, your chances of getting matched shouldn't be really a concern for you, just look up the matching statistics for your school to find out.

I think a Canadian citizenship will help you a lot if say you decided to get matched in Canada, then perhaps Mcgill is the best school for you since losing your PR status means that you probably will never get it back.

At this point, I think it's best to call Mcgill and get a sense of your chances of getting in. Because you are risking wasting that one acceptance you have and even if you apply next year, there is no gurantee you will get in Mcgill, as you have learned, MMI is very unpredictable.

So I guess in the end you need to do some serious thinking as which choice to make. Let's say in the end even if you lose your Canadian PR status, you still have 4 years to figure out what to do when in a US school. You never know, maybe you'll find someone in school, get married and get yourself a green card. That would solve all your immigration issues. But there is a certain risk associated either way.

Archived