Premed 101 Forums

Need Help Plz: What are my chances? (low GPA)

Hi guys, I would like to get some feedback/advice/comments regarding my chances of getting into a US med school.

I have a BSc from Univ of Toronto with a cGPA of 3.21 (Double major in Life Science and Physiology, Graduated in 2008)

Since then I took some courses at York University as a non-degree student to improve my GPA. (Getting all A's so far, but 1 year of 4.0 would bring my GPA to only 3.4ish)

My MCAT isn't too strong, I have 29Q (13 P, 7 V, 9 B) and I am retaking it in the summer to improve on verbal and biological sciences.

I am planning to do another year of undergraduate to pull my GPA up to 3.5, and I was thinking to wait and apply in June 2010 with a better MCAT score rather than applying this year with a weak MCAT score, especially when I hear that applying later in the cycle (e.g.Oct, Nov) can seriously jeopardize my chances.

This is my plan so far, but having not many advisors around who are familiar with the US system, I would like your help on assessing my plan.

For additional info, I have 4 summers of research experience with one publication, was the president of two clubs back in U of T, played in an intramural soccer team, and am planning to work in the hospital for some clinical experience.

Any comment would be appreciated.

Thanks a lot!

Hey, firstly, Ive heard that Canadian undergrads have a hard time with American universities, because they are considered to be international. Perhaps you should do more research on universities that consider Canadians equivalent to Americans. On other forums Ive seen other canadians with 3.5 get into universities that consider Canadians equivalent to Americans.

also I had a question about your schools, Did you go to UofT Scarborough? or UofTsg? and do you think York Is much better then UofT for undergrad overall?

thanks in advanced about your answers.

Hey, firstly, Ive heard that Canadian undergrads have a hard time with American universities, because they are considered to be international. Perhaps you should do more research on universities that consider Canadians equivalent to Americans. On other forums Ive seen other canadians with 3.5 get into universities that consider Canadians equivalent to Americans.

as far as i know, canadians are considered equivalent to "out of state" applicants and not international students. the only schools canadians cant apply to are the ones that only take american students.

to jl86:

29 mcat would be ok if you had a strong GPA and applied VERY EARLY - i.e. submit on the earliest day possible. i think you really need to bump up your stats to stand a decent chance at getting into an american school. your extracurriculars sound great. i would definitely wait until your gpa is a little higher and work on your mcat score - try for mid-30s at least.

do the schools look at your undergrad institution? Ive heard from SDN that they add around .2 to the GPA to prestigious schools.. would something like this be true?

yes they look at what school you went to but it's not that big of a factor with canadian schools. i know people from york and UPEI getting interviews in the US so it really doesn't matter.

Archived