Premed 101 Forums

HEy med students,

I'm trying to gain some perspective into how worth it you think med school really is.

Caught up in the furor of gunning for premed, it can be easy to lose perspective and become idealistic about what you're fighting so hard for, but I fear disillusionment/regret once I get there.

I recently went to see my doctor who is also my role model, and for the first time told her I was interested in pursuing medicine. She didn't react the way I had hoped. INstead of pleasant surprise and encouragement, she seemed wary, and when asked about her time in med school she replied that given the chance she wouldn't do it again. She would do psychology or something less disruptive of your lifestyle.

I've wanted to be a doctor for so long, am putting all my energy towards it, but is it worth it?

________

Suzuki DR-Z400 specifications

dude 40% of your posts are starting new threads. And the majority of them seem to all be about the same thing - reasons that you are unsure about medicine as a career.

This site is really good for receiving meaningful advice about admissions statistics, paths to follow, and overall general help.

How much blind faith can you really put in anonymous strangers with help about having the motives to pursue this career? "Is it worth it?" has to be one of the most subjective questions I've seen on this forum. The answer is completely dependent on the individual. These questions can't be answered by anecdotal stories of hardship or success.

Just keep a watchful eye for every negative aspect there is about a career in this field. If you honestly feel the pros will outweigh the cons, then yes it is worth it.

Yeah Newf, I've noticed the same thing from this guy. Since he started posting a few months ago, almost all of the threads he's posted have been either complaining about MCAT studying, complaining about studying for courses, or trying to solicit empathy from fellow premeds.

medschoolahoy, please stop posting these kinds of threads. I'll answer your slew of questions a final time: Yes, if you think medicine is for you and that the pros outweigh the cons, put in the time and effort. The key to passing the MCAT is to study and practice (so get off this site and get cracking, haha). Finally, if you don't have the background for the MCAT this summer, and if you're struggling to learn it, put it off until you're comfortable with it (it's not rocket science).

Please continue to post, but just no more threads like this. One or 2 is ok, but this is at least your 5th thread that questions your abilities or your pursuit of medicine. Just relax.

You guys are right about me questioning and freaking out and procrastinating too much. And advice to take some time and think about what I want to do is useful. I think I'll take take the summer to just work, do some science courses and look at different options. I appreciate the support and insights you've given me - good luck with summer endeavours! xo

________

iolite vaporizer

You guys are right about me questioning and freaking out and procrastinating too much. And advice to take some time and think about what I want to do is useful. I think I'll take take the summer to just work, do some science courses and look at different options. I appreciate the support and insights you've given me - good luck with summer endeavours! xo

That's probably a good idea. If just the idea of going into medicine is causing you this much stress, then you have to wonder what med school and the actual career will bring you. There have been many insightful posts, which I'm sure you have read, to elaborate on those points. In sum, it has to be the right choice for you.

Good luck!

Archived