Premed 101 Forums

PA program

I am new here so I wasn't sure where to post this so, mods, feel free to move it. :)

I was surfing the mcmaster site and came across the http://fhs.mcmaster.ca/physicianassistant/ physician assistant program. Then I did a search here and found a thread from a little while ago that mostly talked about the whole pa vs np vs md debate. The program looks very interesting and I talked to some friends of mine in the m.d. program and they said the pa program is very similar just with a year less.

Is anybody here in the program/applying to the program/just got into the program? I see the deadline for this year has passed. anybody know what the application process is like? how many people get invited to the interviews? it looks about as tough to get into as the m.d. program. I think the introduction of pas here is a great idea! :)

I am new here so I wasn't sure where to post this so, mods, feel free to move it. :)

I was surfing the mcmaster site and came across the http://fhs.mcmaster.ca/physicianassistant/ physician assistant program. Then I did a search here and found a thread from a little while ago that mostly talked about the whole pa vs np vs md debate. The program looks very interesting and I talked to some friends of mine in the m.d. program and they said the pa program is very similar just with a year less.

Is anybody here in the program/applying to the program/just got into the program? I see the deadline for this year has passed. anybody know what the application process is like? how many people get invited to the interviews? it looks about as tough to get into as the m.d. program. I think the introduction of pas here is a great idea! :)

Bump. anybody? :-) Nobody here knows anything/anyone about/in the program or applying to it?

Nope.

I would wait a while before applying to a PA program. We have no idea what the job prospects are going to look like. In the States PAs are involved in all aspects of medicine, but there's no reason to think it'll be the same here. I suspect that they'll be employed mostly in family practice, and mostly in rural/underserviced areas. We know what their scope of practice is allowed to be, but we don't know what it'll be in reality.

If you don't get into medicine, you'd be better off pursuing nursing or an allied health position like a medic or respiratory therapy.

Hello there,

U of M also has a PA program, except that it's considered a master's degree. Do you have an undergrad degree and good cGPA? The Mac PA program doesn't have any pre-reqs; the U of M does.

Email Mac and U of M directly with your questions. I contacted them with questions about the PA program; they were excellent in returning emails quickly.

I wouldn't worry about job prospects. They wouldn't have created the programs if they didn't have a need.

PM me if you have further questions.

Good luck!

:)

• 2 years later...

Hey,

I am new to the site, and having a hard time connecting with current and graduate students of the PA program.

I was wondering if you could guide me to an appropriate forum where I could connect with Mac PA students specifically?

I myself am trying to decide whether this program is right for me. It sounds like it has great potential, but I want to talk to some grads and see if the government has fulfilled any of its promises to provide employment positions.

If you could send me a PM, that would be great. It took me forever to even find this post, and I don't know if this thread is even active anymore.

Thanks!

• 2 weeks later...

I am planning to apply for PA program at Mac master for Sep 2012 intake, but I have a question on PA job prospect, I have observed that PA are struggling with job in canada since It is new role to the health field & has more opportunities in rural areas in compare to the city area..?

Moreover I am also looking for a material for Mini interviews they take at Mac masters..? I also want to talk to the alumni students of the Mac Master university, can some please find me forum where we can chat with alumni student.

Archived