Premed 101 Forums

Question for high carving score people

There has been some speculation as to what goes into a good score and can bring your mark waay down - one of these include leaving groove marks on the soap, and although I have been told by some that they only grade the cut surfaces (and thus grooves on uncut portions are not a problem), some of us here think leaving these marks are a no no...

Leaving them with a marker is fine, but when you use a pencil or blade to lay-down the layout lines, you end up cutting into the soap somewhat.

Here's a pic:

I'm thinking method 1 leads to a bad score while method 2 is required for a near perfect score (assuming angles, measurements, planes, and complete reproduction of the figure are all fine).

Can anyone shed some light on this? Any 25+ score people have a soap looking like method 1?

post-1649-140744793946_thumb.jpg

Hey, I used method 2. I got 29 on the carving. I think you should make it look as neat as possible just as a general impression and prove you have good hand control which is the entire point of carving but i don't know if any actual marks would be allocated to that kind of thing. I would say more accuracy ect. But I would try for method 2 and make it look nice. Its not hard if you just put your longitudinal lines first and then all the cirumfrence lines only specifically where they need to be.

When I did my carving, I left marks on the soap as in the case of Method 1. I tried my best to keep them faint though, just in case it would count against me.

I saw another thread in regards to marking lines with the blade itself. I actually used this method every time for the ends where you have to mark the end notches, or mark a triangle. I used the crease of the soap for reference and/or made pinpoint marks and then joined them with the blade, and voila - straight edges! However, I never used this method anywhere else on the soap - it was stictly for marking the ends.

My apologies if this makes no sense whatsoever :)

I only ever used the Sharpie to make my guidelines, and I left the marks on the uncut surfaces of the soap when I passed it in.

I averaged 5 soap practice carvings per DAT and ended up with a 29 on the carving... but I would definitely recommend practicing the carving more so you won't have to waste your money repeating the DAT just to improve your carving score!

If you're going to use the Sharpie, the soap will clog the felt tip, so periodically rubbing it on the paper towel provided to you will help.

I also recommend wearing gloves - the soap will get gross after handling it for a while (especially if your palms sweat a bit when you're nervous).

Archived