Premed 101 Forums

books for 1st year

Guest Mephistopheles03

Guest Mephistopheles03

hi all,

have any of you incoming meds checked out the curriculum for 1st year yet? for most of the courses / blocks, they have a list of texts available...my problem is that the list is quite long for most of those subjects. how are we supposed to know which neuroanatomy book will be right for us (out of a list of 5 or 6)?

it would be really appreciated if some of the moderators could comment on which books they found helpful / useless. thanks :)

Guest cheech10

UofT is very light on textbooks needed. Everything tested is in the syllabus, so you only need textbooks for clarifying concepts. Personally, I prefer to do a google search, and thus you can get away without buying many textbooks for the year. Wait to see the profs recommendations, and even then, you won't need to buy what they suggest.

My picks:

Netter's Atlas of Human Anatomy - Taylor says there are errors, but it worked very well for me and I didn't see any errors. Rohen and Yokochi has photos instead of drawings, which are good for preparing for tests, but not so good for finding things the first time. Plus you can get copies at the Gerstein library, so go with Netter's.

Essential Clinical Anatomy by Moore - Not necessary, but Snell is WAY too long, so if you need an anatomy text, I like this one.

Wheater's Functional Histology - A favourite, can be used instead of looking at slides for histo. If you prefer colour drawings of much larger fields (like I did), you may want to check out an atlas by Fiore in Gerstein. Histo's not a difficult subject in first year anyway.

Functional Neuroanatomy CD - Designed specifically for the Brain and Behaviour course, it covers everything you need.

Anything other than these texts is pretty much optional. Don't forget Harrison's and the other online texts for PBL research.

Guest Mephistopheles03

to lakers: my chapter's card expires in a month so i'm trying to milk it for all it's worth ;)

surprisingly, a lot of the texts are actually cheaper at the u of t bookstore.

Guest Lakers4life

In that case, go with what was mentioned above.

You will need a Wheaters and an Anatomy Atlas [Netters/Grants/Ronan]. In neuroanatomy, you will need a neuro-atlas [the CDROM is good, but any neuro atlas will do].

You don't need anything else. Some people like a physiology book like Guyton or Ganong, but I never bought one and didn't have any problems. Class notes are all you really need.

Guest UTMed07

Rohen is an awesome book! I'm not sure how useful it is for an anatomy course... but I bought myself a copy anyway after a past supervisor showed me his, which was a present from one of the authors. Beyond that, I think it is nice to support the fine work in Erlangen; I once had the opportunity of seeing the excellent anatomy muesum they have. :P

Barnes & Noble (in the US) currently has the book on sale... 30% off. :D

• 1 month later...

Hi everyone!

Does anyone know if we can purchase used textbooks at the bookstore (or if upper year students usually sell any of their books)? Is there a bookswap site for U of T med students?

Thanks!

JS28

Guest Kirsteen

Hi there JS28,

Given that I've had to buy plenty of books this year from the medical section of the UT bookstore, I can attest to the fact that there have been plenty of used texts for sale. I would imagine though, that you'd have to figure out what you need early as the high demand texts in used formats move off the shelves quickly. If you go to the bookstore now, for example, I'll bet you'll find some used books. The bookstore will probably be in the midst of receiving their orders for this coming term and the used texts will be slotted in on the shelves beside the new ones. Good luck! :)

Cheers,

Kirsteen

Guest cheech10

There will be a used book sale in September where the upper year students are selling their used textbooks. Details will be announced in class.

Archived