Premed 101 Forums

Scoop on Vaccinations - Tdap Vaccine & Hepatitis B

Guest UTMed07

Guest UTMed07

I got word today from a U of T Health Centre physician (Dr Lowe) that the immunization sheet is wrong; the TdaP (tetanus, diptheria, acellular pertussis) vaccine isn't a requirement. How does Dr Lowe know? He was on the phone with Prof Maureen Shandling (director of Admissions & Awards) after I asked him about the vaccine. Prof Shandling I've been told, consulted with an infectious disease expert and ensured this is indeed not a government requirement.

So that is the scoop... I anticipate an email from admissions to the new class will be coming some time in the next few weeks.

I like my school and don't mean to bash it... but it seems admissions really has problems getting their act together on vaccinations; Dr Lowe told me there was confusion last year. Last year the vaccination sheet incorrectly said a meningitis vaccine was required.

Kudos to U of Ottawa, they seem to have these things figured-out; a lab mate of mine got in there and I compared notes with them. Ottawa doesn't mention "acellular pertussis" on their vaccination form.

If you're looking for a free Hepatitis B vaccination try the U of T Health Centre. Yeah... I posted this here... but then I have got the impression people don't frequent the 0T7 board too much.

Guest Waitin

Thanks for the info. Do you know if registration is required to access UTHS, or just the admission letter (don't we need to start HBV before registering=catch 22)?

Guest Kirsteen

Hi guys,

On the hepatitis immunizations, when I received mine (Twinrix, i.e., Hep A and B) prior to venturing to India a couple of years ago, it was a series of three shots. I believe it was Dr. Lowe who administered them at $100 a pop in a specialty travel medicine clinic. It was only post-voyage that I discovered the pro bono shots at the UofT clinic at the Koffler Centre. Do take advantage of those--$300 is a lot to pay when you only have to touch your wallet to produce your OHIP card. ;)

Cheers,

Kirsteen

• 3 weeks later...
Guest Chieka

I talked to Leslie Taylor at admissions and got a clarification re: Tdap Vaccine. All the shots on the sheet are required, however, previously U of T thought that if you had any of these shots as a child, you would need to retake them as an adult. They have changed their policy to allow shots taken as a child to be taken into consideration.

C.

Archived