Premed 101 Forums

News regarding waitlist!!!

Guest snoopychan

Guest snoopychan

To all still waiting to hear: I declined my first round offer to U of T and accepted out-of-province. I just recieved an email from the U of T admissions office, sent also to everyone that declined, as a survey for their reasons for declining the offer. I can tell you that there was over 80 names (very good estimate) that declined. Hence, I would suspect that the 80 names next on the list will recieve an offer soon. Best of luck and I hope this news raises your spirits in this stressful time. Cheers!!

Guest Kirsteen

Congratulations snoopychan,

Eighty names--wow, quite the number. It would be interesting to know to where they're all flocking--UofA? ;)

Out of curiosity, why did you end up selecting UofA over UofT? Was it something geographic or a different reason (if you don't mind me asking)?

Cheers,

Kirsteen

Guest snoopychan

Hi Kirsteen,

I chose U of A over Toronto and McMaster for many reasons. The weight of my decision lies in their program, its suitability for me and its effectiveness. They are consistently ranked in the top 3 in terms of LMCC (licensing exams for doctors) results... so the education is probably just as good if not better than every other canadian school. Also, they have one of the largest ER's in Canada... and soon (opening in 2005) one of the best cardiology facilities in North America. The system is done in blocks, and students are given two half-days off per week for studying, sleeping in, and shadowing doctors which i plan to do in my spare time. Other strengths include the strong Alberta economy, including a promising future in health care and lots of money for medical research. The reputation of U of A is quickly rising due to the breakthrough research by Dr. Shapiro's islet transplantation research and many other cutting edge research and facilities (like the largest ER in Canada and a soon to be built world class cardiology unit, i know, i already boasted about this ). One amazing thing about the faculty of medicine there is that they truly listen to student feedback. Every week the course or block coordinators meet with a small group of students and encourage both positive and negative feedback to better the course. Whatever changes are suggested are almost immediately put into action. I have friends attending med school there, and a cousin who is now a resident tjere to back me up on this. I am looking forward to a great time in med school.

I have seen your posts elsewhere. However, I am not sure if you are in the process of applying, or have already been accepted. Thanks for your interest. Cheers!

Guest Waitin
and students are given two half-days off per week for studying, sleeping in, and shadowing doctors

Hopefully THIS is the reason you gave UT for declining!

Guest Kirsteen

Hi again snoopychan,

Great for you on having an array of choices! :D Hopefully I'll be in a similar position just before this time next year. ;)

I wasn't aware of the newly opening cardiology unit at UofA. I'd be interested in hearing more about it once you're in and profiting from its resources. (Is cardiology a possible area of interest for you?) By the way, I too, have a pal at UofA who is going into her third year this year. She loves the program, so enjoy!

Kirsteen

Guest snoopychan

Hi Kirsteen,

Best of luck with your applications. If you ever need any help with it, you've definitely come to the right place. I see that you have been posting some questions about admissions at the U of A forum. Good choice. I do hope that you are granted an interview, so you'll have the oppurtunity of checking out the school and hosipitals. I was very amazed by the facilities. When I first walked into the hospital, I didn't know it was a hospital for about 5 minutes until I saw nurses and doctors. As I recall, the place had glass-windowed elevators, waterfalls, an art gallery on the first floor, a huge cafeteria. It looked like a shopping centre. And do check out the health sciences library. When I walked in during my guided tour, I thought that it looked a lot like The Hospital for Sick Kids in Toronto, only to find out it was designed by the same architect. Beautiful.

I am not sure if cardiology is for me at this present time. My interests have always been in emergency and/or general surgery, having worked and volunteered at an emergency department before. However, I am going in with an open mind, and definitely taking full advantage of electives, and shadowships on "my days off" to try things out. Best of luck with you applications. You can do it! Cheers.

Guest blahblahblah

I have a feeling that U of T has more or less a full class now, given the time and that fact that they are doing such surveys. Remember that U of T does rolling admissions; many of the rejections mentioned above have likely been filled with waitlistees over the past few weeks, so it is very unlikely that many people will suddenly start getting off the waitlist.

In the mean time, can any of the moderators comment on the initial number of offers sent and the size of the waitlist? From what I've gathered at this board, people have said (this year or last) that the size of the waitlist is about 100 people, and the number of initial offers is 240. Given these figures, and the number of offers being declined at 80, approximately 40 people have already gotten off the waitlist, which in the past had represented the bulk of the waitlistees offered admission. For this reason, it seems to me that very few people will get off the remainder of the waitlist. Does this sound reasonable?

bbb

Guest snoopychan

thesaug: it was a June 2nd offer that I declined

blahblahblah: you bring up a good point. The reason that I made my initial post was that I have not seen even one post about anyone getting off the waitlist yet. Are people just not posting those offers? Hmmm...

Guest UTMed07
Are people just not posting those offers?

More than likely. There were just a handful of "I'm off the waitlist" last year.

blahblahblah:

... For this reason, it seems to me that very few people will get off the remainder of the waitlist. Does this sound reasonable?
You're likely right, and especially so if last year is a guide. I don't remember anyone posting in early-mid July that they got an offer.

If you want to know for sure ask admissions. I went and asked last year. I didn't like the answer ('Yes, it is full.'), but I then knew for sure that the odds were slim to none and was more ready for the cursed thin letter when it finally came.

Guest Kirsteen

...unless UofT are given the last minute go-ahead to expand their class. This was the case a few years back when a host of people received their calls from the waitlist the week before O-week. Never say never. ;)

Cheers,

Kirsteen

Guest adlinner

Dear blah,

One more piece to the puzzle: both highly ranked waitlistees and students given first round acceptances, each of who having declined UofT, were sent the survey email. My roommate was the former and I was the latter - this is how I know. I'm surprised so few people actually decline UofT given its class size!

yours

adlinner

Guest Ceeb23
They are consistently ranked in the top 3 in terms of LMCC (licensing exams for doctors) results...

Snoopychan,

I was just wondering if there is some place on the web where LMCC rankings, by school, are posted? I looked for this information when trying to make my acceptance decision, but couldn't find it anywhere.

Thank you.

Guest Toonces

What survey is this? I've had two emails from U of T meds, one from an interviewer ("I hope you pick U of T") and one from a med student ("Let me answer your questions!") but no survey atall.

Guest snoopychan

Ceeb23: The info regarding licensing exam was passed onto me from a friend currently in 3rd med at U of A. He has been quite hard to reach as of late as he is doing his rotations right now. I wil try to obtain his source, and pass it along at a later date.

Toonces: the survey asks for the reasons for an decline of an offer to U of T. Since you accepted your offer, you shouldn't have recieved it.

Guest LuckySunny

I got "the call" from U of T admission this morning... I'm IN off the waitlist :rollin

To all other waitlisters: There's still hope... Good luck and don't forget to enjoy the summer.

Archived