Premed 101 Forums

Can part-time job and dental school coexist?

I would not recommend it. You could get some hours on the weekend, but during the week after school it would be tough, but possible. It also depends on how sociable you want to be with your classmates. 1st Semester would be easier to work compared to 2nd semester. I'd estimate 10 hours a week.

I would not recommend it. You could get some hours on the weekend, but during the week after school it would be tough, but possible. It also depends on how sociable you want to be with your classmates. 1st Semester would be easier to work compared to 2nd semester. I'd estimate 10 hours a week.

Are you kidding me :confused: ? Nevermind about part-time jobs, there were guys/gals in my class who ran companies while in D-School.

To the person who raised the question about part-time job: Sure go for it, it's all about proper time management. Some ppl in D-School will study their brains out, every second of the day every day for 7 days x 365 (The usual undergrad mentally :( ). Then there are others who fit in a good balance of play time and enjoy their D-School experience. I found personally and from my peers (mind to tell you that was quite a few years ago) that yes, many had part-time jobs, some even full time (and in the rare case ppl who held very prominent positions in small companies) jobs that they were able to balance school, work and social life just fine. For those in 1st year at UT, if you don't think this is possible or have a hard time managing, just ask the zippers ;)

Anyhow, good luck! and enjoy the D-School experience...:)

edit: Can't speak for other D-Schools, but at Toronto there soooo MUCH OUTSIDE of class to look forward to (Western, Dal, Mcgill dents? you guys can share some of your experience for all?)

Like others said, it depends on what kind of studier you are, how social you like to be with the class, etc. There is always something going on to keep you busy - whether for school or leisure. It would be possible to have a part-time job, but I think it would be tough because the days are so long in the first place. The weekdays are jam packed with lectures/labs/clinic, so technically you would have evenings and weekends available to work out a balance between studying, work and fun.

"many had part-time jobs, some even full time (and in the rare case ppl who held very prominent positions in small companies) jobs that they were able to balance school, work and social life just fine"

i'm going to go ahead and speak for ubc here. part-time jobs are completely possible to maintain while maintaining some sort of social life. if you're making enough per hour that it's significantly offsetting the $250k+ debt you're gonna be in, or if you're gaining worthwhile experience that will help you in the long-run, go for it. but full-time jobs and very prominent positions in small companies? unless your venture specializes in time-travel, this is impossible. like, temporally impossible. we do pbl 8-10am M,W,F (attendance and punctuality mandatory), med classes 8-12 Tu,Th, 10-12 M,W,F, dent classes Tu, Th 1-5pm, gross lab 1-5 F, and "independent study" (free time) Tu or Th afternoon. sometimes, they take that away from us.:P but work a full-time (i.e. 40 hr/week) job, and get decent grades, and maintain a social life? i'd say there's a very small percentage of very gifted people who can achieve that. not saying you can't, just saying you probably can't.

i don't study the recommended 30hrs a week. but i do manage to participate in extracurricular sports, socialize F/Sat nights, and i seem to get by. :D

/rant

What school are you in? I'm a pharmacist too and going to UT dent in the fall, but TO is pretty saturated with pharmacists I thought... I heard I can do relief for $50/hr, but I can't get a steady gig there.

Archived