Premed 101 Forums

Something's happening!

Guest thelaze

Guest thelaze

Woohoo! :rollin

I just checked my Rosi account and the financial account page lists me as owing a healthy $17,287.50! At least something is happening, all this silence from U of T was beginning to unnerve me. And they still haven't deposited my $1000 cheque, so I was getting slightly worried.

I never thought that owing more money than I've ever had at one time could bring such joy!

Former U of T students who are now first year meds: check your Rosi accounts!

Guest peachy

Thanks thelaze for posting that! It is indeed strangely comforting to be owing $17287.50 :) ... I've never dealt with a sum of money that large in my life, ever.... :)

I actually called this morning to ask why they hadn't cashed the deposit, because I was getting worried ... they said they'll be doing it soon, they were waiting until replies from the July 3rd offers, or something like that.

... Edited to add that my account was updated to $16287.50 to reflect the deposit while I was looking at it :)

Hey peachy and thelaze,

Did either of you notice the section at the bottom of the invoice that said a minimum payment of $11,000 was necessary to register! Ohmigosh! I thought I would get at least until October to pay more than the first half, since the provincial fundings gods don't seem to be in my favour. Does this mean we should talk to banks before O-week?

Help!

:b

bj

Hi guys,

Do you know how non-UofT students can access Rosi?

And if what bj saw was true, that would certainly cause some financial problems for some! :eek

Guest peachy

Bj - Yeah, I did notice that. It was surprising - you'd think they'd give us until 2nd semester to pay the 2nd semester fees, at least!

Clyl - I very much doubt that you can access ROSI until you know your student number, but U of T must have one on file for you, why don't you call and ask?

Hey CLYL,

Thanks for the vote of confidence :\ . Seriously, I think if you apply for OSAP you get at least some kind of leeway in terms of when you have to provide the downpayment. Why? Well because OSAP doesn't even become available until after school starts! What a wonderful system?

I think the delay for those who applied for provincial assistance means the first payment is due sometime in the mid-fall. I hope, at least. . .

:b

bj

Guest Kirsteen

Hi there guys,

You might want to double-check on when the fees are due with the fees office so that, if nothing else, you have a little bit of time to prepare if necessary. Reason being: a friend of mine gained admission a few years back, just a few days before O-week began. Although she qualified for OSAP, she had to come up with the full, first amount over the course of the weekend. Eeeep. :(

Cheers,

Kirsteen

Guest thelaze

To peachy and bj:

I checked again just now and my fee's been reduced to $16,287.50, which is another relief. I was really starting to get worried about that deposit.

The $11,000 up front is kind of overwhelming, but not that surprising really. Even in undergrad I remember that the minimum payment at the beginning of the year was more than just the first term's worth of tuition.

I've been visiting banks this past week. I want to get started on my LOC before the O-week rush (which is what the BMO guy called it), and I want to make sure things aren't too tight at the start of the year while I'm waiting for OSAP, UTAPS, busaries, etc.

For my part, I've decided to go with BMO. Go to the one at University and College and ask for Gary, he's the one who deals with the med students, and he really knows his stuff.

summervirus: My curiousity has been peaked. Now you have to tell us even if it makes us cry...

Guest aneliz

You will be crying when you hear what those Alberta kids are paying.... Of course if you really want to cry, talk to the francophone students.... University of Montreal....$1000 a semester....and they each got $6000 in GRANTS (not loans) from the Quebec gov't....regardless of their 'financial need' (or lack of...)

Yeah, tuition was the reason I decided to stay in Alberta rather than move back to Ontario (to go to Western). My tuition is about $8000 this year, but last year's class was grandfathered and they're only paying $6000 for each of the four years!

Guest summervirus

Yeah, my friend in dentistry almost jumped me when I told him that my total tuition (4 years x $6000) worked out to be cheaper than one year of tuition for him. I'm so evil. :evil

Guest lcloh

the due date for Western's tuition payments (first instalment i.e. ~9000 CAD) is august 31, but as far as i know, if you have OSAP financial aid coming, your tuition payment is automatically deferred until september 15 which gives you enough time to pick up and negotiate your loan documents and then pay the outstanding balance....

Guest aneliz

Hey Loh,

Check your tuition bill....minimum payment is $10 880 and is due no later than AUGUST 20....or you are going to get slapped with a $350 late fee....(I love how even the late fee is more for meds/dents...the undergrad late fee is $100! >: )

Guest Biochem10

U of T students, when is that 11,000 due??? I hope I have time to talk to the banks before...I'm only going to be back in Toronto on August 11th. By the way, Peachy, did you go MD/Phd lunch??? I had to miss it, but let me know how it was.

Guest peachy

I didn't go to the lunch either, Biochem10. The ROSI page just says that the $11,236.87 is the "minimum payment to register" ... I'm not sure when exactly that is.

Bj and others - the U of T website says that if you have applied for OSAP prior to June 30 then you can defer your payments until Oct 15: www.fees.utoronto.ca/fall...rrange.htm They don't seem to have updated their website for this year, though.

Thanks for the info, peachy! It looks as though the payment is due as soon as the OSAP notice of assessment is available, up to the 15th of October at the latest. After that, interest accumulates on whatever portion of the fees has not been paid (I think). I got hit with this last year and I can only imagine what the interest must be on $10,000ish. Yuck.

Good to know that I'm not the only one worrying about this stuff. Look forward to meeting you all during O-week!

bj

Guest UTMed07

I can't help think it is sort of interesting how the financial accounts section shows $16287.50... yet POSts (Programs Of Study) still shows my last degree. Seems the university has certain priorities... I'm looking forward to that bill like a visit to the dentist. :x

Makes UWO's $15 392 look like a bargain!

It isn't a bargain. IMHO it is a tragedy. I think many are dis swayed from university and medical school by cost. I don't think it ought to be that way... and it isn't that way in most developed countries, Canada and the US are exceptions.

Guest Kirsteen

Hi there UTMed07,

Unfortunately/fortunately (?) it's becoming increasingly that way, i.e., cash outlays for medical education in more developed countries. In the UK, for example, medical education used to be completely subsidized for UK residents, leaving only books and equipment as expenditures, without the worry of paying for tuition. I hear, however, that significant tuition fees are now being introduced. Times, they are a-changing. :rolleyes

Cheers,

Kirsteen

Guest lcloh

Aneliz - yeah, slight change of plans... in the past, I used to get enough OSAP to cover my first instalment which meant that my payment is covered automatically...

Now it says: "If it ISN'T enough to cover it, then pay the balance before the due date..." so I will pay whatever my balance is, less 60% of my total OSAP, less scholarship, by August 20.

Personal story too - last year, I waited until the due-date to pay my second term fees... I got my canadian millennium bursary cheque, deposited it and the payslip into the ATM at 4.30pm on the Monday after the bank had closed (i.e. the night after the due-date had passed) and avoided getting the late fee altogether... I don't know how that happened, but I got lucky!

*** for OSAP newbies - the loans are usually dispersed in the proportion 60-40 for winter/fall terms... this can come in the form of Can-On Int. Student Loans in September, and more integrated loans or a CMBursary in January.

Guest UTMed07
Unfortunately/fortunately (?) it's becoming increasingly that way, i.e., cash outlays for medical education in more developed countries.
I think the pendulum is going to swing the other way again in a few years. Funding education is common sense; a highly skilled work force makes a place attractive for business. Also, high tuition increases inequality and drives a wedge between those with money and those without.

It isn't a question of wealth. Countries in Europe that are less wealthy than Canada find the money.

Guest Kirsteen

Hello again,

Currently, what the UK (at least) seems to be doing is shifting the funding onus from the government to the student and banks. Lines of credit and student loans are an increasingly common set of vehicles to education over there.

Cheers,

Kirsteen

Guest lcloh

From www.aucc.ca/publications/..._07_e.html

Trends: The Canadian University in Profile

The 1999 edition of Trends: The Canadian University in Profile provides data and analysis on current trends affecting universities in Canada and abroad. The statistical handbook looks at recent trends in university funding, faculty, enrolment, degrees and research.

QUICK FACTS:

FINANCE

The real level of government support for postsecondary education is down an average of 20 percent across Canada since 1993. It was well under $7,000 per student in 1998, down from a high of $11,500 per student in 1978.

Increased tuition fees make up for only half of the government support that universities have lost since 1992.

There is a growing higher education funding gap with the United States. In real terms, U.S. colleges and universities now receive almost 20 percent more government support per student than they did 20 years ago, while Canadian universities have faced a 30 percent reduction in the level of per student support.

Public investment in higher education has declined in Canada, while the United Kingdom, Australia, Germany and Japan have responded to the growth challenge by increasing public investments in universities.

FACULTY

There are currently 11 percent fewer professors at Canadian universities than there were in 1992.

Faculty members are older, with an average age now of 49.

Professors who leave Canada are doing so at the height of their careers, attracted abroad not only by higher salaries, but also by richer research resources and funding available elsewhere.

Women professors account for a growing proportion of newly-hired faculty -- from under 20 percent in the mid-1980s to almost 40 percent in the mid-1990s.

ENROLMENT

Many other countries have caught up to North America’s level of university participation.

Full-time enrolment has remained stable since 1993. In 1998, there were 500,000 full-time undergraduates and 76,000 graduate students. Part-time enrolments, however, have declined rapidly. There are now fewer part-time undergraduate students than there were in 1980.

Demography has not played a strong role in fuelling enrolment growth worldwide. Enrolment increased despite a drop in the population base of youth aged 15 to 19 in most countries in the early 1980s or early 1990s.

The single most important reason behind postsecondary education expansion worldwide has been the growth in women’s participation. In Canada, women make up 55 percent of all university students and account for more than 75 percent of enrolment growth over the past 15 years.

The number of international students coming to our country has increased slightly in recent years to a total of 27,500 in 1998, representing 3.1 percent of all students enrolled in Canadian universities.

DEGREES

More women than men earn degrees -- women accounted for 58 percent of all degrees in 1997.

The number of degrees produced in Canada is up 53 percent over the last two decades. In 1997, Canadian universities awarded a total of 171,736 degrees at all levels.

Degrees in computer science started rebounding in 1991, after a 30 percent decline between 1986 and 1991. In the United States, the number of computer science degrees continues to fall short of 1986 levels.

Approximately 39 percent of all undergraduate degrees and 40 percent of master’s degrees were awarded in the social sciences in 1997. At the PhD level, degrees were spread more evenly with about 17 percent of graduates in the social sciences, another 17 percent in engineering and applied sciences and 17 percent in mathematics and physical sciences.

Commerce continued to rank as the number one discipline at the undergraduate level, followed by education and then psychology.

RESEARCH

Cuts to the Canadian research granting council budgets in the mid 1990s have been reversed and with the announcement of the Canadian Institutes of Health Research direct support to university research is expected to grow in the short-term.

Other countries are investing more heavily in their research councils. The average amount of money granted to Canadian university projects is three times lower than the amount allotted to American research projects.

There is an increasing diversification of funding sources for university research. Private sector and foundation support for university research has doubled from 18.4 percent in 1984-85 to 36 percent in 1996-97. The federal government funded the majority of sponsored university research at 44.7 percent.

- 30 -

Additional copies of Trends 1999 are available exclusively from the Association of Universities and Colleges of Canada. Single copies are $60 each (including taxes, shipping and handling charges). To order your copy, call (613) 563-3961, ext. 205 or e-mail us at publications@aucc.ca.

Information:

Jeanne Thibault

Chief, Media and Public Relations

Tel.: (613) 563-3961, ext. 236

Archived