Premed 101 Forums

Internal text book

Hello!

If you bought the PDA you can get something like 5 minute consult after seeing a patient (or a slew or other reference software).

Something myself and a lot of my classmates did was use uptodate as a reference as well. Although sometimes (I found) it can go into a lot of detail for treatments it's a great starting point.

I hope that helps a bit.

You probably have Harrison's already or don't want to use it so I won't recommend Cecil's...

Here's what I'll be using:

Current Medical Diagnosis and Treatment,

Step Up to medicine,

Up To Date (this is usually complete and more current than a textbook)

hope this helps...

A lot of people use the pocket notebook series ...I didn't use it for internal but I did buy the one for emerg. The internal one is red (at least it was last year, it changes colours yearly I believe)

You will not be able to get through Harrisons or Cecils and wont want to lug it around with you and probably have online access to it anyway through your school. Better to buy a pocket book for the wards.

Ya I bought both pocket medicine and approach to internal medicine and I think I like approach to internal medicine better. It is completely Canadian content so you don't have to worry about weird American units, and it is more thorough than pocket medicine. The good thing about pocket medicine is the approach is better: it really weeds out all the crap and focuses on what is most relevant in treating a condition. Unfortunately as medical students we tend to "need" the crap, so I only carry around my approach to internal medicine book. Sara that is what all the residents have at the TOH, you can buy it at the bookstore for $35 bones.

Archived