Premed 101 Forums

Is PSY100Y a Life Sciences Course?

Guest dayne67

Guest dayne67

Hi, this is my first time posting at this board.

I just wanted to know if the first year Psychology course (PSY100Y) is considered a Life Sciences course. I have heard some people tell me it is. However, at some other universities, most psychology courses are considered to be part of the Liberal Arts/Humanities curriculum. I was hoping someone hear could answer my question. I would be really appreciated.

Guest JSS02

You should definitely check with the admissions offices of the schools you're applying to. I was under the impression that PSY100 would be counted as a life science course when you apply to U of T meds but as a social science/humanities to the other med schools, which usually follow their university's undergraduate course when deciding whether a course is designated science, non-science, etc.

Guest JSS02

FYI, PSY100 is (or at least was, last time I checked) considered a Life Science course in terms of fulfilling your undergraduate degree requirements at U of T. How medical schools look at it could be different, however.

Guest eclairs

hey...I think it depends on the school...

Some schools classify ALL psyc courses as non-humanities/non-social sciences, while others classify only introductory courses (ie those at the 100-level) as humanites/social sciences (and not life sci)

Guest dayne67

Thanks, for the replies guys. So PSY100Y is considered a Life Sciences course when applying to UofT Med, but not necessarily by other Med Schools. I will check with the other med schools to find out more.

Archived