Premed 101 Forums

In need of housing....

Guest ssup

Guest ssup

Hey guys...

Most of the rooms on torontomeds.com are sharing with 2 or more students. I was wondering whether anyone knows of any bachelor or 1-bedroom suites within walking distance of MSB (10-15 min walk). Nothing above the $800-900 price range.

If you know of any such suites, let me know!

Guest Kirsteen

Hi there ssup,

I have some friends who live in a huge building on Sherbourne which offers great little bachelors around that price range. Mind you, the walk would be 15 mins if you changed it into a bit of a jog. ;) You might want to give that area a look. There were also some units (bachelors) available in the condo that's on the southeast corner of College and Yonge and I think the rents for those are in the upper region of your desired rent range. I have another friend who's in that building who is currently moving into second year UT meds this year.

Good luck and happy house hunting,

Kirsteen

Guest Toonces

Shouldn't be a problem, ssup. Check the Toronto Star Classifieds (available online and they do have some ads for September; generally their ads are offered for the next month, i.e. most of the current ads are for August). Also check the NOW magazine classifieds (available online) and the U of T housing service (sometimes they have good offers..my impression is that many people try to take advantage of desperate students, however, so you might want to try to vet the places somewhat over the phone). You used to have to be a current student, but I believe they have a new system in place. There is also Renter's News (available in stands on the street, new ones every Monday).

Guest ssup

thanks kirsteen and toonces...great suggestions!

One quick Q Kirsteen: I'm wondering if you know any of the names of the apartement building you mentioned...I'm not in TO right now but I'd like to start calling around to feel some of the places out.

Thanks again guys,

Ssup

p.s. Toonces- I tried the U of T off campus housing but it seems you need a library card/PIN to access it...:rolleyes

Guest Kirsteen

Hi again ssup,

Sorry, I don't know the names of the buildings. :( I can ask the friend who's on Sherbourne if her building has a name and I'll post it back here, though.

Another idea: if you have time to come to Toronto, quite often if you roam about the city in the area where you would like to live, you may have some good luck if you simply go into the buildings and inquire. There is a building on Bay St. (Bay/Bloor Executive Suites is the name, I believe) which is very close to the university--literally, you're about 15 minutes from Med. Sci.--which often has no sign re: units available outside, but which does have them posted inside. Rent-wise, however, I have a feeling that they're a bit higher than the top of your ideal range. It's worth a try though, given the renters market that's currently in TO, and with respect to this building in particular, they offer amazing views of the skyline if you manage an upper-floor, south-facing unit.

Cheers,

Kirsteen

Guest Toonces

ssup, I checked out the U of T housing service for you (yeah I got free time) and there's nothing that's specifically for September that fits your requirements. I would suggest that you come to Toronto at the end of July or the very beginning of August to look then; the housing service has an office that runs out of the corner of St. George and College, northwest corner, in the same building as the bookstore..you could try there if you can't get online.

But Renter's News might be a better resource for you if you're looking to stay in an apartment building: it includes listings from all (or very nearly) of the apartment complexes around with information on prices, room types, AC, storage, etc, as well as phone numbers! Calling the buildings in an area of a few blocks from med sci will definitely yield something. However it will be a bachelor (unless you're willing to live around Sherbourne..there are a bunch of buildings there with some lower-end 1 bedrooms but the view is invariably of another building and when I checked them out a few years ago..well, I've never seen so much pigeon s*** in my life! There was actually a bicycle covered in it on one balcony..the original colour of the bicycle..who knows?)

Guest Namgalsip

Hey Toonces,

Do they advertise any condos on the UofT housing page? I'm looking for a 1 bedroom starting Aug. 1

I tried getting into that site but it won't accept my undergrad student number (I guess you have to be a current student).

Thanks for your help.

Nams

Guest StarGirl123

Here are some ads I came across when I started my big apartment search. I saw a two bedroom at the Spadina apts, it was nice and close to school. Good Luck!

BLOOR -Spadina, 1 Month FREE bachelor, jr 1, 1 & 2 bedroom from $850, $1100, $1225 & $1550 parking available 416-922-5233 or 416-271-9637

1 Bedroom. Downtown location, just minutes away from subway, U of T and downtown life (restaurants, theatre, cinema, shopping). Water & heat included, hydro extra. Storage & parking available. Visit http://www.BetterLivingHomes.ca for more details. Bachelors also available from $850. 416-922-2925

1 bedroom, steps to U of T, the Bloor St. shops and restaurants. A bright and clean building, immediately beside TTC subway. Call for availability or to be put on waiting list. Nadine (416) 975-3951

DEGRASSI ST., North of Queen, steps to TTC, bright bsmt bach, new Victorian home, 8' ceiling, charming eat-in kitchen, priv. front entrance, CAC. No smkg. $900 incl. Aug 1st. (416) 822-4902.

Guest Toonces

Nams, I've seen one or two but it's not really the best source for condo info. Renter's News is much better -- it has a section devoted to condos, and condo rentals appear in the Star as well.

Guest ssup

Hey Namgalsip,

I think I read somewhere that you were looking for a place in Liberties...is that where you signed your lease? I'm coming down to TO on the 23rd for the big apartement hunt and am really interested in Liberties so in case you got a place there, do you mind me asking the details? jules_9999@hotmail.com if you don't want it advertised on here.

Thanks,

Ssup

Guest Namgalsip

Hey ssup,

Actually, I found a place at 1001 Bay (Bay and Wellesley). It's a condo located very close to the liberties and a very nice place. The rent was ok (well....as ok as it gets down there). The places I saw at the liberties were large (and therefore more suitable for sharing). If you're willing to share, you can easily find a place there, just check out torontomeds.com. The problem with me is that I'm moving with my boyfriend and it was impossible for us to find someone that will share a condo with a couple.

Just some advice about apartment hunting...negotiate, negotiate and negotiate some more. The rental market is on our side. There were many vacant condos that wanted us to take them right away...at any price we wanted! If you're flexible with your moving date, you can get something for a very good price. We signed the lease for $200/month less than the current tenant and we got the landlord to change the carpets for us.

Anyway, good luck with your apartment hunting and let me know how it works out (we could be neighbours :b )

Nams

Archived