Premed 101 Forums

MD/PhD questions.......

Guest blinknoodle

Guest blinknoodle

I wasn't quite too sure where to post this, but I figure the majority of those in an MD/PhD program are reading this board.

I need some advice. I'm going into my fourth year of a health sciences program in the fall, and I am planning on applying to MD/PhD programs.. I am an Ontario resident, and have satisfied the med school pre-reqs for Western and Toronto.. but I haven't taken any english courses or the second half of first-year physics yet. I could take these next year, but these really don't thrill me. Since I would be OOP for Alberta and McGill, and that's where I'd need the pre-reqs, I was wondering whether I should even bother taking them. Are the MD/PhD spots even based on your residence?

As well, another quick question: since I have to apply to both the graduate schools and medical schools independently, should my references (or myself for that matter) add in that I'm applying for the joint program, or should that be left out? I really am more interested in research, but should I rather emphasize my interpersonal skills, med school charms, for the med school..

So, in the end, will I be getting 3 sets of acceptances/rejections from a) the med school, B) the grad school, and c) the joint program -- or will it simply culminate with 1 accept/rej for the MD/PhD program?

OK, so if anyone can help me out, that would be great!

:)

Guest peachy

Hi Blinknoodle,

You should take a look at the U of T MD/PhD website if you haven't already.

Should my references (or myself for that matter) add in that I'm applying for the joint program, or should that be left out?
For U of T, you need separate reference letters for the MD and MD/PhD programs. The MD letters go through OMSAS as usual. When I asked for those letters, I told my references that they were for medical school only -- especially since I also applied to other Ontario schools where I wasn't applying MD/PhD. Then, when I got the separate reference letters for the MD/PhD program, I specified that the letters were "for the PhD part of the program". The letters also weren't from exactly the same people (though there was overlap) because not all my MD letters were from people who knew me academically.

So, in the end, will I be getting 3 sets of acceptances/rejections from a) the med school, B) the grad school, and c) the joint program -- or will it simply culminate with 1 accept/rej for the MD/PhD program?
Option b doesn't apply - when applying MD/PhD you don't apply directly to a grad program, that comes later. Otherwise, it's a two-stage process. You need to be first accepted by the MD program. Only then can you get an acceptance to the MD/PhD program.

Guest Lactic Folly

AFAIK at Alberta, you apply to MD-PhD during your first year of medical school, after application and acceptance to the MD program.

This is just my opinion, but I would suggest taking your first year english this year if you can fit it in. By not taking it you are limiting the schools to which you can apply, and seeing how competitive it is to get in, you may want to keep all your options open. I ended up having to take english in my second year of grad school and it was a huge pain. I wished then that I had taken it in undergrad. But once I had the credit I could apply to so many more schools.

Guest med2006McGill

Hi there,

For McGill, you'll still be considered an OOP student even if you apply for the MD/PhD program. Good luck!:D

Archived