Premed 101 Forums

Anesthesia or surgery: recommended electives

Hi!

I want to be a general surgeon but I think of anesthesia as a back-up plan.

So, I want to do 2 electives in general surgery, 1 in anesthesia and I have 2 others electives left. (I can't do more than 2 electives in surgery). Which electives do you recommend to optimize my chances to get into surgery or anesthesia (cardio? ICU?....).

If you have any advice about how to perform in surgery and anesthesia clerkships, please share ;-)

Thanks,

Ahahah

Hi!

I want to be a general surgeon but I think of anesthesia as a back-up plan.

So, I want to do 2 electives in general surgery, 1 in anesthesia and I have 2 others electives left. (I can't do more than 2 electives in surgery). Which electives do you recommend to optimize my chances to get into surgery or anesthesia (cardio? ICU?....).

If you have any advice about how to perform in surgery and anesthesia clerkships, please share ;-)

Thanks,

Ahahah

Hey,

Careful in backing up with anaesthesia -- this year gas seemed much more competitive than previous years, while general surgery seemed to be relatively less competitive than in previous years. No telling what will happen next year, though.

I'd encourage you to do an ICU elective, simply because ICU is freakin' cool. It will definitely look good on both a surgical and anaesthesia application, too.

Archived