Premed 101 Forums

taking a deferral--some advice?

Guest tony

Hey there, my fellow UofT ezboarders. Congratulations to everyone who got in, and good luck to everyone still waiting!

I need some advice from anyone in the know though. I was accepted to UofT and was pretty excited about becoming an OT7, but now I'm having second thoughts and I'm considering finishing my BSc first. I have just finished 3 years of undergrad at York U and my program is 4 years. From reading all these posts, I couldn't find a single person who doesn't have some kind of a degree--can't help it, but I feel a bit out of place here :\ .

so I guess what i'm getting at is: should I or shouldn't I finish my BSc? .. that is the question.

Can anyone tell me what are the benefits of having an undergrad degree when you're in medschool/applying to residency/practicing? Am I going to be out of place without one? Am I closing any doors in the future? Will I just be an educated fool....?

Pretty much any kind of general advice would be greatly appreciated.

And if there's someone out there who had or has the same decision to make--let me know, I'd really like to know what you've decided and why? (sounds a bit like an interview question--sorry)

Right now I'm still leaning heavily towards screwing my undergrad education and just going to meds--but I do want to make an informed decision.

thanks,

Antony

Guest cheech10

Hi Tony,

I finished a 3-year B.Sc., as did a number of my classmates, but those degrees are being phased out and I don't know if they are granted anymore. Look into it, since many programs are flexible for students that have been accepted to med school and you may be able to transfer into a 3-year program and be eligible to graduate. I know quite a few people that did this at UofT.

If that's not possible, don't worry. An undergrad degree gets you nothing in your future career. It's all about your last level of training.

Guest Lakers4life

Whooa...acutally the undergrad degree may not be that useless. What if one wants to go into academic medicine? THen, having that degree could mean a world of difference.

However, if you just want to be a clinician, then it should be cool. A guy in my class even used his first year of meds towards the 4th year of this degree and got it that way.

Guest peachy

Cheech10 - it's actually only U of T that's phasing three-year degrees out, I think? York certainly still offers three-year programs and plans to continue doing so. It's seen as an accessibility issue for students who can't afford that extra year for whatever reason.

Antony - I don't know anything about how useful a B.Sc. is later on. I do know that for me, personally, I wouldn't have given up fourth year for anything ... I learned a lot, had a really good time, and feel much better prepared for medical school. I wouldn't stick around in undergrad if you're not excited about another year of it, though.

You could certainly pick up a three-year degree later on if you really wanted to - you can't be very many courses off from some related area, can you? You could do those later on by correspondence or something, if necessary...

ps. do you know who I am? :)

peachy

Guest faqir9

Every time I read one of these threads I wonder: this is what you are going to be doing THE REST OF YOUR LIFE. What is your rush?

Guest Krish

Hey,

My advice: I would defer if I were you. I also got in after 3rd year to UWO and Mac and these schools don't allow deferrals, so I can't finish my BSc, which I would have liked to do. Its always nice to get some recognition for your undergrad years.

My two cents.

K

Guest cheech10

Lakers4Life: A B.Sc. is still not going to be enough for any serious academic medicine, where at least a masters is needed to be taken seriously. At any rate, there are programs that allow you to complete graduate degrees during or after residency (clinician scientist program, etc.).

Whoww.. I didn't expect such speedy replies. Thanks a lot everyone. i really do appreciate your input

Although... I'm still undecided :rollin .

The good thing is, is that I still got some time to think this over. I called Leslie Taylor and even though in the letter it says you have to let them know by the 13th, she said its cool if I send in my deferral request later on. So if anyone's rushing to make a similar decision by this friday.. you still got some time.

Peachy---the first time I read a post by "Peachy" I said to myself that this sure sounds like someone I know. So yeah... I got a pretty good idea who you are... Ms J ;)

As for picking up a 3 year degree later on--I don't think its gonna work out for me... i'm doing that Honours Science thing.. its just a big mess (but a smooth way to med school though! :hat )

Antony

Guest adlinner

Hey Tony,

Here I am, med school acceptance in hand after three years. I was in the process of making my own degree of Honors Biochemistry and English lit, horribly limited in that it HAD to be finished four years. So what was I to do?

I went with my gut feeling. As exciting as taking that 12-play Shakespeare course or that use of Jung in the later works of Robertson Davies Seminar or that course on cancer with readings ONLY from the current literature or that 4th year research project--all things I've been working towards since first year--I had a feeling I'd want to do medical school more next year. I'm really excited about all the things I haven't ever done at school that I would do next year: clinical skills, arranging observerships - even the anatomy labs seem to beckon me (I don't know a thing about anatomy).

What about my degree? I graduate with a Bachelor of Arts conferred by the Faculty of Science. :lol And I'm happy with that. It will make for an interesting story because most other people will just have a BSc!

Good luck in your decision.

Archived