Premed 101 Forums

what if my interviewing skills suck?

If one has a very high GPA (cGPA 3.98) and presumably does well on DAT (i haven't written it yet) but has poor interviewing skills, does he/she still have a chance of getting in? i.e how important is the interview?

I found that for U of A, interview counts for 10%, for U of S 20%. but i couldn't find this info for U of T and UWO.

So if you get a very low score on your interview, can high academics compensate for that?

I'd appreciate any feedback.

The interview at UofT is worth 30%, at UWO it's 25%.

I completely agree with Malkynn in that interview skills is just something that you gain with practice. Yes, there are those few fortunate ones that are just born with amazing charisma and public speaking abilities, but most of us get better by practicing. PRACTICE IS KEY. Remember, dental schools are not looking for amazing speakers, they just want to see that you're confident, knowledgeable about the profession and about your own skills and know what you're getting yourself into. You need to know the "right" way to answer questions. And you learn that with practice. Like Malkynn said, there are plenty of ways you can improve yourself. You can also get a hold of many sample interview questions and practice those. If you utilize all the means that are available to you, you are sure to markedly improve and do well on your actual interview.

I'm no natural at interview skills either, but I did my share of practicing, and it definitely paid off.

Good luck!

Archived