Premed 101 Forums

timing for writing sample

ghostgirl123

I find that the biggest challenge for me so far is timing. I find it extremely difficult to write a decent essay in just 30 minutes, it takes about 20 minutes for me just to come up with a good outline/think of examples for each point. Then the actual writing part, I constantly have to pause to think of what to say next, which makes me nervous and lose my train of thought.

If I had like 1-2 hrs for an essay, then it's ok. but 30 minutes? anyone have any tips/words of comfort?:o

It should only take 5 minutes to come up with examples & an outline. In those 5 minutes, you really only have to think of examples, since the outline is basically given to you:

Paragraph 1- Task 1

Paragraph 2- Task 2

Paragraph 3- Task 3

For examples, I find that I tend to use the same examples numerous times. Therefore, these are my stock examples. After practicing with many writing prompts, I find that whenever I see a political prompt, I write about Bush/Obama. When I see a social prompt, I write about AIDS. When I see an ecomonic prompt, I write about the recession. This takes practice to build up your "stock" of examples. However, once you have a bunch of examples in your head, you can manipulate these examples to fit any prompt. I find the most important aspect of the essay is the thesis, which is fully developed in/by paragraph 3. Therefore, I give myself 1, maybe 1.5 minutes to make sure my thesis is clear before I write.

Like I said before, the main thing is to practice, and come up with some basic examples that can be applicable to many types of prompts.

Then, I write for 23 minutes, which is lots of time if I already know my examples, and proofread for 2 minutes. I find that if I use simple/short sentences, I don't lose my train of thought.

Hope this helps!

If it's taking you 20 minutes to come up with ideas, you should consider having some pre thought out examples in your head going into test day.

I generally always wrote one based on one of my ECs (use that for many topics) or on the current economic crisis, can be used for many different topics too.

If you're writing late in the summer, you still have a decent amount of time to read more, I usually read 2-3 blogs regularly plus a good amount of slate, the atlantic, and the economist (all available online), mainly from some of the contributors that I like to follow. Just having a bunch of general knowledge on several broad topics can make it easier to come up with ideas on test day.

That being said if you're writing soon, spend your time coming up with some stock ideas rather than reading the economist.

thanks for the replies! I've only just started practising, and I'm not writing till September so I guess I have plenty of time to practice/research.

AdamP, if you don't mind me asking, what is the EC you are referring to? and I thought you are not supposed to use personal examples? (or at least, my TPR instructor told us to try to stick with international or national examples)

Archived