Premed 101 Forums

deferrals to apply to other schools?

Guest ssup

Guest ssup

Hi guys,

I've heard of a few people who defer their acceptance at U of T (since it's quite easy to do apparently) so that they can apply to other schools the next time around. If they don't get in to where they want to go, they can just go to U of T since they're already accepted there.

I'm wondering whether this is allowed by U of T or are these students doing this on the hope that U of T doesn't find out about it.

Anyone have any info on this?

Ssup

Guest cheech10

This isn't allowed. Schools state that applicants must not be accepted to another school before applying, IIRC. (not the exact words, but that's the idea) Call the schools you're interested in to check.

Guest MDbadly

I posted a few questions on this post but never had given advice/reply yet BUT this is a sore eye for me.

Are u serious about the deferral question ssup???!!!!?????

I only heard people putting off some school to be pulled off the waiting list for their first choice in the same year, but never going to the whole process AGAIN just to get in somewhere else. I have heard of a few getting into Carribean schools and defer to try again for schools in Canada.

Oh well! guess U of T med school is sooo below standard that someone had to mark it off on their OMSAS application and then throw it away. Such a horrible school, so yucky. WHATEVER!!!!

ssup, I'm about to shell out $40 000+ for school and living expenses for a program other than meds because I was not so fortunate to get into meds. Please hook me up with these people so they can sell me their spot. Heck, i'll throw in

$10 000 as a bonus.

Guest batman

A friend of mine tried to do that with an Ontario Law school acceptance (defer for a year, and try to reapply), and nearly lost his acceptance when they found out what he was trying to pull, and he pleaded ignorance......I sure hope ontario med schools never allow people to do that. (and speaking of caribbean med schools, does anyone else keep getting their junk mail?)

Guest ssup

MDBadly: I think you misunderstood my post...it's not ME who's doing this...for the love of god, I haven't even been accepted to U of T yet!!!! I've just heard of this being done and thought it was a strange school policy so I thought I'd ask if it was legit or whether this was done under the table. In my opinion, U of T is a great med school and although my interview experience there left a lot to be desired, I still think it's merits as a med school are astounding and that students given the chance to attend U of T are very lucky! In any case, I wasn't trying to discredit U of T's med program as being inferior to other schools or stating my intent on deferring an acceptance should I be granted one.

batman: what is with all the junk mail?!?!?! Not only from med schools in the Caribbean, I've got a few from middle east med schools too. THANKS BUT NO THANKS!!!:b

Guest PDSP

Ssup:

Caribbean is not all that bad. I've been getting the New York School of Podiatry and the Naturopathic School of Canada!!

PD

Archived