Premed 101 Forums

Undergraduate vs. graduate status

Guest snoopychan

Guest snoopychan

I got an offer of acceptance from U of Toronto this year. I am currently in my first year of my Master's and as a result, they require me to finish by this Aug or take a deferral. Back in January, they requested from me a letter from my supervisor stating the expected date of completion. My research requires working in surgeries at the U of Ottawa Heart Institute very frequently. initially, August would have been possible for completion. However, due to the SARS fiasco, the surgeries were cancelled for a long time. As a result, I could not gather samples for my work.

Someone I know also in her first year of Master's also got an acceptance from U of T this year. However, U of T never requested the letter from her. It appears that they don't know she is in graduate studies. As a result, she will be allowed to start this September.

I don't know the reason for the discrepany. I just want to know if anyone else out there in the same situation can tell me whether they got the letter from U of T requesting info about the grad work. Thanks. This is driving me nuts.

Guest StarGirl123

Hi there Snoopychan,

I am also a grad student and have just finished my master's. I was told that some graduate students who are in their first year of their master's program were considered as undergrads since they had not completed enough grad courses or research. Since, I was in my second and last year of my program, I was required to provide proof of research.

Hope this helps.

Stargirl :)

Archived