Premed 101 Forums

NO MORE MCAT for McGill

DMDcanada

MCgill no longer will be requiring the mCat for In province applicants! its on their website..

What are ur thoughts on this?! good/bad/unchanged?

i think its good if u have a high GPA but bad if u needed that mcat to prove ur academic integrity

Well I guess I will be screwed. I finished cegep more than 8 years ago and I was told by people to who it happened previously that if my MCAT was very strong, I could get in without having to repeat my chemistry/physics required classes. :( McGill obviously doesn't want people with PhDs in the program.

I think it's a good thing. You can focus on extracurricular activities more and I really think that McGill likes that more.

I have one question. Are people that are applying for the coming year exempt or is it only for people you apply after Sep. 2010?

MCgill no longer will be requiring the mCat for In province applicants! its on their website..

What are ur thoughts on this?! good/bad/unchanged?

i think its good if u have a high GPA but bad if u needed that mcat to prove ur academic integrity

hi, where on their website do you find it?

thank you!

good thing, mcat is retarded and bro if you think that removing the mcat=not wanting phds in the programme, tu te fourres le doigt dans l'oeil. At laval theres quite a few phds (5-10) and no mcat is required

Cheers

Do you ever have anything intelligent to say? Each time you say something on this forum, it's condescending, irrespectful and rude. You never read the comments properly and then respond rudely, judgementally and you don't even answer the questions or discuss what people said. You should be removed accessed to this forum and you are the proof that the admission process does allow people with no communication and interpersonal skills to be admitted to med school.

Great.... there goes my hopes for balancing my sub par GPA. :( Feels like I've been shot right through the heart

If you submit MCAT results in the future as a Quebec university graduate, they are going to look at, but you "will be exempt from the MCAT application requirement." There is nothing to prevent you from writing them a Letter, saying, something along the lines...'although I know I am exempt, I ask that you consider my MCAT results in assessing my candidacy, especially as it is a better indication of my academic capabilities for medicine than blah blah...'

The wound may not be fatal:) Where there is a will, there is a way.

Does anyone know why they removed the MCAT? This is pure speculation, but maybe it's to attract the french applicants due to the shortage of doctors???:confused:

Apparently it just came to light for us. I agree, in part, with your speculation. I believe that those potential French candidates who did not feel confident enough with their English for MCAT and only applied to French speaking universities will now be encouraged by this news to apply to McGill as well - this stumbling block has been removed.

Therefore, it follows that there will be more IP (in province) applications, and so the competition for seats increases. Hoewever, as there are no new seats announced, this in no way reduces the shortage of doctors. It may allow a greater total of French speaking medical students into the English system. A ripple effect could be more English speaking Quebec students (who don't get into McGill as they might otherwise have) going to Laval, UDM, Sherbr. and/or OOP.

Do you ever have anything intelligent to say? Each time you say something on this forum, it's condescending, irrespectful and rude. You never read the comments properly and then respond rudely, judgementally and you don't even answer the questions or discuss what people said. You should be removed accessed to this forum and you are the proof that the admission process does allow people with no communication and interpersonal skills to be admitted to med school.

ok ok im sorry to have written a rude message. However I do have lots of communication and interpersonal skills, you can't judge that from a forum.

And how was this unhelpful? http://www.premed101.com/forums/showthread.php?t=34015

I can enlighten many people on this forum removing me would be silly.

Cheers and best of luck in your apps

Well I guess I will be screwed. I finished cegep more than 8 years ago and I was told by people to who it happened previously that if my MCAT was very strong, I could get in without having to repeat my chemistry/physics required classes. :( McGill obviously doesn't want people with PhDs in the program.

I don't think that is necessarily the case. Look at my post at 5:16 pm today. If you have a strong MCAT and write a letter of explanation to McGill waiving the exemption because.......you make your case re phyiscis/chemistry. Also, you bring much to the table with a PhD, so they would consider your special circumstances case if presented well, it may be a matter of marketing yourself in the best light, together with your credentials.

Nothing ventured, nothing gained. Just a thought.

well they had to get rid of the mcat because they will have to admit more francophones to the new campus in Gatineau.

good riddance

but correct me if im wrong, i think this will only apply to ppl applying after sep 2010

well they had to get rid of the mcat because they will have to admit more francophones to the new campus in Gatineau.

good riddance

but correct me if im wrong, i think this will only apply to ppl applying after sep 2010

No correction necessary........new campus?? Gatineau?

No correction necessary........new campus?? Gatineau?

from what i know, mcgill is supposed to open a "satellite" campus in Gatineau starting 2010, in partnership with the UQO. I believe the program will be entirely in French.

I don't think dropping the MCAT is such a big leap for McGill, since half the class (the Med-P's) already doesn't write it. It's maybe another backhanded way to keep more Quebec students from ever leaving the province... if you haven't written the MCAT there's very few schools outside of Quebec that you can apply to, but if you have written it, might as well see what your chances are at Toronto, Queen's, Dal, etc etc. Lots of Quebec residents have done their undergrads in other provinces/countries though and it sounds like this would not apply to them.

Gatineau will have a satellite campus starting in 2010. Some students in the class of 2012 will be doing an "integrated clerkship" in Gatineau for 3rd year (ie all mandatory rotations will be done there in one hospital, then they can go where they please for electives). The hospital is french. I don't know how they're running classes for 1st years or 2nd years there; I'd assume classes are in English and broadcast from Montreal like McMaster does.

It's for Quebec residents who did undergrad in Quebec. What happens if you are a Quebec resident that did their undergrad elsewhere? Are they going to require MCAT for those select few? That would be weird. How would they compare people with MCAT to those without?

What happens if you are a Quebec resident that did their undergrad elsewhere?

No exemption from MCAT.:mad:

It's probably inspired for the benefit of French speaking (as first language) Quebec applicants to give them an even playing field..and as one previous poster mentioned, there is a satellite French teaching campus on the horizon in Gatineau. Google these key words and you will find something about this from 2008.

ok ok im sorry to have written a rude message. However I do have lots of communication and interpersonal skills, you can't judge that from a forum.

And how was this unhelpful? http://www.premed101.com/forums/showthread.php?t=34015

I can enlighten many people on this forum removing me would be silly.

Cheers and best of luck in your apps

Apologies accepted. I also apologize for overreacting to your post. ;)

I don't think dropping the MCAT is such a big leap for McGill, since half the class (the Med-P's) already doesn't write it. It's maybe another backhanded way to keep more Quebec students from ever leaving the province... if you haven't written the MCAT there's very few schools outside of Quebec that you can apply to, but if you have written it, might as well see what your chances are at Toronto, Queen's, Dal, etc etc. Lots of Quebec residents have done their undergrads in other provinces/countries though and it sounds like this would not apply to them.

Gatineau will have a satellite campus starting in 2010. Some students in the class of 2012 will be doing an "integrated clerkship" in Gatineau for 3rd year (ie all mandatory rotations will be done there in one hospital, then they can go where they please for electives). The hospital is french. I don't know how they're running classes for 1st years or 2nd years there; I'd assume classes are in English and broadcast from Montreal like McMaster does.

http://oncampus.macleans.ca/education/2009/03/20/most-quebec-medical-grads-are-leaving-the-province/

Headline of this Article is “Most Quebec medical grads are leaving the province”

“Despite province’s doctor crisis, Ontario gets 22% of Quebec’s new MD grads” and “52 per cent of recent medical grads from McGill University……are heading elsewhere….”

Also see http://www.mcgill.ca/files/familymed/RuralRotation_guide-students.pdf of McGill Faculty of Medicine, entitled Preparing for your Rural Rotation Guide for Students [from Rural Education Office January 2009]

So, it would appear that McGill is preparing for acceptance of greater numbers of French speaking Quebec med students who hopefully will remain within the province to practice, thereby giving the Quebec government a better return on its investment, increasing the availability of physicians in PQ and making McGill a more worthy and politically acceptable contributor to the fabric of the life of Quebec. McGill's real contribution to Quebec and its citizens is of far more importance in a practical way to McGill than its international reputation.

Archived