Premed 101 Forums

Tuition?

Guest bj

With only a few days left (let's hope!) and little to distract me (well, not really) I thought I would entertain the notion that maybe I will get in, and maybe I will make a decision, and maybe I will go to U of T. So, theoretically of course, what would this cost me? I heard tuition for professional programs was going up at U of T beyond the sky-high limits of last year. Any truth to it?

BJ

P.S. If anyone has ANYTHING else to talk about during my million-a-day visits to this site, PLEASE put me out of my misery. I have even relegated myself to checking the forums (fora?) for schools I didn't apply to. Ahh, the sight of pure pathetic. . .

Guest Lactic Folly

Nothing wrong with that - there are useful tidbits scattered over all the forums. I check nearly all the forums and I haven't applied to any schools ;)

Guest lcloh

UWO's tuition is not increasing next year above and beyond the usual cost of living increase that happens every year. The tuition is basically frozen, therefore, at C$14,200.

Guest UWOMED2005

I don't know if U of T's med school is going up, but I remember hearing they're med school is making some push to try and become one of the top 5 law schools in the world, and part of that push involves raising tuition, and the figure I remember (I could be WAY off) was $22,000. That might be where you'd heard U of T was upping tuition quite a bit. But I'd be surprised to see the med school climbing over its current Canada-wide high of roughly ?$16,000?

Don't forget, though, that tuition is but a small part of the costs. I'm paying roughly $15-20k in non-tuition expenses each year, and I'm living in London where rent is cheap. . . unlike Toronto, :eek though you might/should be able to survive at U of T without wheels.

Guest JSS02

U of T's law school tuition is supposedly going up $2000 a year, until it reaches $22,000 in 2006-7... :eek

For accessibility's sake, let's hope the medical school tuition doesn't get up there. It's already high enough as it is...

Guest lcloh

I just realized I should clarify what I mean by a "Cost of Living" increase. This is mandated by the university itself, not the faculty.. and constitutes a 2% increase on what the previous year's tuition was to keep pace with inflation and the increasing costs of a Canadian lifestyle. For UWO, this means that "no increase above and beyond" means only a 2% increase next year. That is, tuition this year was C$14,200 and as a result tuition next year can be estimated to be 2% more, that is, about C$14,484.

The fees issue is a contentious one. If the province's view on funding post-secondary education changes within the next year, we might see universities revisiting the issue of tuition increases. For the meantime, however - we are left with the balance between a quality education, and an accessible education - and the formula for that is still in the works.

Cheers!

Archived