Premed 101 Forums

Master of Public Health

I'm curious to know whether anyone knows anyone who has gotten into the Master of Public Health program at MUN?

I have applied and should hopefully hear back soon (they were waiting for my degree to be conferred), but would like some input into the types of people who are accepted into the MPH as I understand that it is competitive to get in. Thanks!

• 2 months later...

Hi!

I have been accepted into the public health program at MUN for the fall. Have you also been accepted? I had an ok average (~83% overall), but I've been doing public health research for the past year (which may have helped increased my chances a bit). PM if you have any more specific questions :)

I'm curious to know whether anyone knows anyone who has gotten into the Master of Public Health program at MUN?

I have applied and should hopefully hear back soon (they were waiting for my degree to be conferred), but would like some input into the types of people who are accepted into the MPH as I understand that it is competitive to get in. Thanks!

For the most part, med rejects who want to kill a year doing something productive

• 3 months later...
I agree with NewfieMike,

If you are doing a MPH MUN will weed you out if you cannot convey reasons and justifications for doing so. If you are not committed and admissions believes you are just buying time, you will get weeded out. On the other hand, I believe that doing a Masters (thesis) or PhD makes you a much stronger candidate for medical school. You are more mature, critical thinking abilities, and depending on your discipline will have a much better idea of the population you intend to serve.

Cheers and good luck, the program is extremely heavy.

I don't think you will get weeded out. I know LOADS of people who apply for MPH, do well, and then get in to meds the year after. May 16th I imagine there is a huge influx of applications for MPH

• 3 weeks later...

i think to some degree there are some people who are rejected from med school and spend time doing a MPH to boost their CV.

but, there's another quite large population of MDs that go do it and also people who are genuinely interested in public health and not interested in clinical work. I'm in medicine right now (first year) and am investigating doing a MPH perhaps online side-by-side with 3rd/4th year or maybe during a year off in residency (depending how much flexiblity they give me with the program online, cuz i know residency and clerkship are hard and busy).

for a lot of tertiary hospital work, you need a graduate level degree to work there. So, for some people, they like basic/clinical research and spend 2-7 years doing a MSc or a PhD, but some people are more interested in public policy, epidiemology, etc, and do a MPH or a MBA kinda deal. I think im' going to be doing with MPH or maybe MBA (they have quirky requirements that i don't think i'll be able to fulfill)

Which university offers MPH online?

Lakehead University has an 'all' online MPH program. A combination of video/teleconference classes, and so on. I am currently doing this, finished 3 years of it and working on my final year (thesis) while Ive been working full time. It never hurts to 'Beef up' your credentials.

Ive spent probably $16k on the program (just so you know the associated costs) which is fine because it'll increase my yearly salary by about that right away on my yearly salary if med never pans out. Actually I got a $20k scholarship for my grad work so Ive covered my tuition than a bit (Yay for me who has never got any significant scholarship in Undergrad! ).

A lot of good jobs with Health Canada require masters level preparation as do the better jobs with Public Health Units so it is not a useless degree by any means.

Beef

• 2 years later...

Archived