Premed 101 Forums

SARS and the April 12 interview weekend

Guest Chieka

Guest Chieka

I know the disease has affected previous interview weekends, and as the cases only seem to be increasing, I'm wondering what effect it will have on the April 12 interview weekend.

Thanks,

C.

Guest wannabedoc

I know that SARS greatly affected the last interview weekend, and I imagine that since the cases are only on the rise in Toronto, it will likely have some ramifications for this upcoming weekend.

Do the moderators have any updates on this scenerio?

Thanks.....

Guest bluesky125

Hi,

Unfortunately, I don't have much information about the April 12 interview weekend. But I will keep you posted as info arise.

The first and second year medical students both have lectures this week. However, we are not allow to go back to the hospitals yet ie no PBL, no community visits and no clinical skills.

There are still a lot of things up in the air.

Cheers,

bluesky

Guest medwant2b

- Date of my interview is the same... time is different.

- The free lunch got canned and the tours are not happening.

- I'll have two one-on-one interviews (instead of the standard two-on-one interview).

Good luck... perhaps I'll see you there... medwant2b

Guest Chieka

I got an email today too. The content was basically the same as medwant2b's except that the email was a little unclear about whether the interviews are one-on-one or two-on-one. But, I guess I'll go with medwant2b's conclusion.

When is your interview btw? Mine is on Sunday.

C.

Guest BrainDrain

While implementing measures to prevent the spread of SARS is important, there is such thing as a little common sense.

Changing to 2 separate 1-on-1 interviews so that there are 2 people per room instead of 3?! No handshakes at the interview? GIMME A BREAK! Maybe there should be no talking to minimize droplet transfer!

I talked to the admissions office this morning about the change for this weekend. I was told that the only difference is that I have to arrive at 1:00 instead of 11:00 (because tours, lunch, etc. are cancelled). I asked about the 2-on-1 interview and the lady told me that it would still be the same. Oh well.....I guess we will find out when we get there. Good luck to everyone interviewing this weekend!

Guest medwant2b

Chieka/Beth:

I'm interviewing on Friday.

I re-read the email and concluded it can be interpreted a bit differently.

The wording of the email I got is:

"Applicants will meet individually with a faculty and student interviewer, and will have an opportunity to ask them questions about our program and facilities."

[i suppose here they mean 'individually' as not with other interviewees.]

Later it says:

"It is possible that we will be unable to return to the usual interview process prior to the conclusion of this years' [sic] interviews."

[i guess here they are referring to the cancelled lunch and cancelled tour.]

>I asked about the 2-on-1 interview and the lady told

>me that it would still be the same.

Thanks for the heads-up.

>Oh well.....I guess we will find out when we get there.

I'm ready either way.

Best of luck on your big day,

medwant2b :)

Guest icedog12

Hi Everyone,

I phoned the admissions office today and asked if there were any changes in the schedule. They said they send an email to everyone who had an interview and gave them their interview times and to arrive one hour earlier. They were surprised when I told them that I didn't get the email. Did everyone else who has their interview weekend get this email?

Guest Chieka

I got the email. I got it several days ago. Maybe U of T is having trouble with your email. I know that hotmail accounts pose problems sometimes. If your university has given you an email account, maybe you should give that one instead. It tends to be more reliable. (although there are exceptions. ;) )

C.

Guest Chieka

I had my interview today. Although there was no lunch and no formal tour, they still had an info session and showed us around a bit. It was a little more casual, but I enjoyed it nonetheless. They did offer us juice/pop/water to make up for the cancelled lunch. It was in the office, but only one of us could go in at a time. It was strange, but I had a good time.

C.

Archived