Premed 101 Forums

Orientation Package - a few Q's

Anybody know what to expect in the orientation package?? I'm going away for most of the summer and was just curious as to what it may contain..

also, do we register for classes or is everything automatically done for us?

Lastly, I noticed many other schools require immunizations and CPR/First Aid certification...does UofA require these as well???

also, do we register for classes or is everything automatically done for us?

Lastly, I noticed many other schools require immunizations and CPR/First Aid certification...does UofA require these as well???

1) Self-registration

2) Only immunization records required.

CPR cert not required

you register for courses yourself (there's some sort of deadline but I think that's just the general UofA deadline), there's enough spots for everyone - if there's more than one timeslot (INTD410), some timeslots may fill up, but it doesn't matter which you register for

you may need to get some outstanding immunizations / TB tests etc., you have some time to do it, basically they just won't let you shadow or be in the clinic until you have the full medical clearance.

if there's more than one timeslot (INTD410), some timeslots may fill up, but it doesn't matter which you register for

Note to EVERYONE in the Class of 2013 - do your best to register right away so you can get into the afternoon session of IntD410, rather than the evening.

Guest rpuff

K slightly related topic: here are the numbers for next year

2009-2010 Tuition

$3,592.48

$7,184.96

2009-2010 Program Differential Fee

$2,177.76

$4,355.52

Total

$5,770.24

$11,540.48

Are books/supplies part of these numbers? I think it was asked in the U of C forum, but for U of A when did you guys buy white coats/stethoscopes? Is it best to wait till the school year begins or can we do it earlier? I really want to buy them with my dad for whole sentimental (yes, I know it's cheesy) second generation doctor thing but I don't wanna get the wrong ones / look like a superkeener on the first day.

K slightly related topic: here are the numbers for next year

2009-2010 Tuition

$3,592.48

$7,184.96

2009-2010 Program Differential Fee

$2,177.76

$4,355.52

Total

$5,770.24

$11,540.48

Are books/supplies part of these numbers? I think it was asked in the U of C forum, but for U of A when did you guys buy white coats/stethoscopes? Is it best to wait till the school year begins or can we do it earlier? I really want to buy them with my dad for whole sentimental (yes, I know it's cheesy) second generation doctor thing but I don't wanna get the wrong ones / look like a superkeener on the first day.

Here's a more detailed (and more expensive) version:

http://www.registrar.ualberta.ca/ro.cfm?id=249#MD

So looks like it's $12,400 a year PLUS books/instruments on top.

the tuition/MD differential fees cover only.. tuition. meaning you are registered for school and have access to school. any further expenses are yours.. such as books/supplies/anatomy/coats/equipment whatever else.

doesn't matter what stethoscope you buy, just get a decent one, not a child's plaything... and the coat must be the short coat, not the full length ones residents wear, or you may get flak from preceptors.. but if you are with someone who knows what they're doing (i sure wasn't) you can get it early, if not play it safe and just get it with everyone else. you won't actually need to use a coat or stethoscope for a good while.

Archived