Premed 101 Forums

Police Records Check

Hi there,

I went to the police station today but I was told I need a form from MAC. I am just wondering if anyone has gone though this process and could provide me with some help. Can anyone tell me what is the exact process that I need to go through to get a police records check? Thank you very much and your help is greatly appreciated!

No you can do it anywhere in Canada since all of the police stations will scan all the RCMP records (and all those stated on the letter from MAC) if you request the vulnerable sector check.

This is untrue. Many police services require you to live in the region for them to do this check.

This is untrue. Many police services require you to live in the region for them to do this check.

Agreed, I live in Toronto and I CANNOT go to North York to do the check. MUST be Toronto police. I'm deciding between MAC and Queen's, so if you're reading thing this, this might be your police check to do! goodluck

I'm still a little confused about this. SO if I live in Toronto, can't I just to the police headquarters on College street and request the police record check? Why do I need to go to Hamilton to pick up this form?

Hey DBlock:

Basically the process at the College Station is painful. I went down to the station and was asked to get a form signed by McMaster. Wendy sent me a form and I went back to the station but apparently Wendy needs to witness your signature and so you need to make a trip to McMaster to get the form done.

However, when I arrived in Hamilton, I decided to give it a go at the Hamilton police station (155 King William St.). They don't require any signature from Wendy (although, you do require two pieces of identification and the letter from McMaster re: the police record check). It cost 15 dollars but the key is that it is pretty much hassle free.

Thanks for the info Avalanche! So just to make sure, you don't necessarily have to be a resident of Hamilton to get the check done by Hamilton police right?

I'm not from hamilton, but I got it done in hamilton last year, and as long as you had the letter from the MD office with the police check requirement on it, then it was pretty hassle free. I don't think it's changed this year.

Thanks for the info Avalanche! So just to make sure, you don't necessarily have to be a resident of Hamilton to get the check done by Hamilton police right?

Yes. I am from Toronto and I got it done just a few days ago. It worked for me so I don't see why it wouldn't for you!

• 2 weeks later...
Yes. I am from Toronto and I got it done just a few days ago. It worked for me so I don't see why it wouldn't for you!

How long it took for the police check? I am currently not in Toronto..... So, if I decide to get it done in 1st week of July, is it okay or do you think it will be a risk doing that late?

Thanks

How long it took for the police check? I am currently not in Toronto..... So, if I decide to get it done in 1st week of July, is it okay or do you think it will be a risk doing that late?

Thanks

Well I did it in Hamilton and when I did it, they said it'd take 4-6 weeks just to get it sent to your place of residence in Toronto. Since the deadline is August 4...I'd suggest looking into it ASAP.

I did it in Kingston, they ran it while I sat there, it took 15 minutes all told. So, it depends on your police dept. and how many addresses you have in the last 5 years. But from what I gather, the Toronto police stations are the most difficult to deal with.

Archived