Premed 101 Forums

New GPA calculation questions...

Guest physiology

Guest physiology

The Faculty of Medicine website at UT states it will eliminate your worst 3 full courses if you apply during 4th year, and 4 full courses if you apply during after 4th year (essentially, once you've completed your degree).

My question is, does that mean they will eliminate your worst 6 and 8 (respectively) half courses?

I'm at UBC and I try to avoid full year courses as much as possible. In addition, I think UBC is shying away from 6 credit (or full year courses) due to enrollment issues and grades/marks issues.

• 4 weeks later...
Guest Guess whoz Bizzak

Hello Everyone!

I was just wandering if U of T counts your Graduate School years when deciding how many courses you are allowed to drop, or is 4 the max # of courses that you can drop?? In other words, if you have a Masters that you got in 2 years and are applying after that is completed, can you now drop 6 full courses?? It would help a little more! Thanks.

~JZ

Guest bluesky125

Hello,

I check the faculty web and unfortunately I can't find any information related to your question. But this is a very relevant question. Try emailing or calling UT addmission to ask for clarification. They are quite helpful :)

Guest Guess whoz Bizzak

Hey....

U of T got back to me, and it looks as though the max # of full year courses you can drop is 4 (i.e. if you apply after completing your 4 year undergrad degree). They do not consider graduate work when deciding how many courses to drop cause it is unrelated to your undergraduate GPA. I guess it was wishful thinking on my part after all!!

~JZ

• 3 weeks later...
Guest Koggetsu

I always thought that UT only eliminated the worst year you had? So u guys are saying that they will elimnate your 4 worst courses in ANY year? wow!

Are u sure?

where did u get this info? I went to the faculty of med. website but couldn't find this info? can u tell me where it is?

thanx!

Guest Koggetsu

ok, I must have missed it, when I was reading it.

but actually even though, it boosted up my GPA a little

bit (+0.03 about) using this new method, I don't really like it. I think what happens is that it raises the GPAs up again and thus the cut-offs will be raised as well probably.

Guest PhantomPhoenix

I think the new system raises the GPA's in general

It benefits people, who have one course lowering their GPA every year..for students who customarily blow one course a year...it gives them a good shot where as beforehand....they had no prayer

But now u have to make sure that the courses u have left are all high.

The new format will have an intersting effect cause it will encompass a new group of applicants who were short changed by systems at UWO and Queens which focus on two full years.

Guest macdaddyeh

Have anyone of you applied having taken less than 5 full courses per year or do any one you know anyone who are granted an interview and/or admission based on NOT being a full time student?

In other words, does U of T really ever admit people who have less than a full course load in general? I know that people think <5 courses/yr is not as demanding, but all things considered (solid GPA, good extracurrics, good MCAT) would a "part time" student have a chance?:rolleyes

Guest Koggetsu

From what I've heard all thru my 4 years at UT undergrad,it seems that they really frown upon people that take less than full course load or at elast that is the feeling among students here. I've known many people who have had to drop a course in the first term and then frantically tried to add a course, any course in the 2nd term to get the full course load, so they end up taking 6 courses in teh 2nd term which is really tough!

• 1 month later...

Whats up. I'm from Carleton. We have this stupid GPA system out of 12. I'm wondering if anyone knows how to calculate that out of 4, I know you cant simply divide by 3. Are there letter grade weights?

Also, in regards to a previous post about dropping ur lowest 6 or 8 half courses, U of T will drop them from any year or combination of years. Just to clarify.

Thanks.

Archived