Premed 101 Forums

How many dental schools should the applicant apply to?

for the Ontario student...

if they don't get in U of T, or UWO, do they really have a chance at out of province schools? Is it crazy to apply to all Canadian dental schools?:confused:

(I'd rather go to a different province, than The States...)

It's not crazy. I applied to 6 of the Canadian schools. I got interviews for most of them, accepted to UBC, waitlist for OOP for UofT and waiting on UofA now.

If you did all of your undergrad in Canada, then applying is super easy (if you think it isn't perhaps you aren't prepared for the kind of demands that any post-undergrad program will require).

It's not crazy. I applied to 6 of the Canadian schools. I got interviews for most of them, accepted to UBC, waitlist for OOP for UofT and waiting on UofA now.

If you did all of your undergrad in Canada, then applying is super easy (if you think it isn't perhaps you aren't prepared for the kind of demands that any post-undergrad program will require).

I'm prepared to apply to all of them, but I was just wondering if that would have been an unnecessary extreme. Reading your post I guess not. Thanks input. Any more answers are appreciated.

Since you are an ontario resident, depending on your GPA/%, you may want to investigate the previous year's stats for each school to determine whether you have a viable shot. There's no point flying across the country for an interview if you knew your chance was remote.

In the past, UBC did not favor BC residents and a significant portion of the class are OOP. However, since the changes to favor IP, your chance may be slim if you are not an outstanding candidate.

I applied to 3 schools (UofT, Western, and McGill). I didn't apply to more because I didnt' have the required courses and some schools only accept 1-2 OOP/year. Be sure to check the exact course requirements for each school;)

I think it's also really important to check out your coarse load in the winter semester. I had 5 interviews and 7 courses... I nearly died. Plus I live in BC, so doing 5 weekend interviews lost me a lot of time during traveling. I know the interviews are important and everything, but so are your final semester marks, which many universities take into consideration (many even say that you can drop your worst year provided it is not your most recent one)

Archived