Premed 101 Forums

MCAT books

h9i9j9

First, I apologize if this thread has repeated itself many times here (I couldn't find anything when I looked it up).

I was wondering how well the Barron's review books are written? I've heard that EK is the best to go with for verbal and PR or Kalpan is great for the sciences.

So, is the Barron book just so bad that not one uses them? Or are they good review overall?

btw, I'm looking to get a feel of the MCAT for studying it next summer, so I'm buying a review book now to see where I am, what I need to do..etc

Any help is much appreciated!

I bought Barron's for SSAT prep eons ago (goodness gracious, 1999...I feel old) and it was ATROCIOUS. ATROCIOUS! Lots of typos (like multiple ones on every page), extremely poor editing - conflicting information, etc. I don't see why their MCAT books would be any better. Just stay away.

I bought the Barron's MCAT prep book for 2008 because it was the cheapest MCAT prep book at the store I was in... definitely a bad choice. It was very similar to what Jochi described as in many typo's, and several incorrect answers throughout all the sections and on and on. Go with Kaplan or Examkrackers or one of the other higher quality prep books.

First, I apologize if this thread has repeated itself many times here (I couldn't find anything when I looked it up).

I was wondering how well the Barron's review books are written? I've heard that EK is the best to go with for verbal and PR or Kalpan is great for the sciences.

So, is the Barron book just so bad that not one uses them? Or are they good review overall?

btw, I'm looking to get a feel of the MCAT for studying it next summer, so I'm buying a review book now to see where I am, what I need to do..etc

Any help is much appreciated!

Where are you located? I'm in Toronto and I'm looking to sell all my Kaplan and EK stuff. EK is def the best prep if you have a good background, and Kaplan is a good way to fill in any blanks.

Archived