Premed 101 Forums

To peachy

Guest Biochem10

Guest Biochem10

Hi Peachy, I'm just curious about what you plan on doing your PhD in, if you get accepted to the MD/PhD program at U of T. Did you get asked this question in your interview? Are you at all considering applying to Grad school? Umm...I ask this because I think I'm going to put in an application to U of T Grad school just in case. I only had interviews at McGill and U of T, so my chances are slim. I called McGill today and they told me that I won't hear anything until MAY! I thought for sure it ould be earlier than that. Since your post last week about early acceptance for MD/PhD at U of T, I've been completely on edge. :rolleyes

Guest McGill03

Hey biochem

I called McGill today as well (I'm a MD/PhD hopeful too) and they said I'd hear "soon." May doesn't sound so "soon."

I'm also starting to panic about not getting into a combined program and am debating about putting in apps for grad school.

I just wish they let us know earlier... It would make planning our future so much easier!

Guest Biochem10

McGill03, you might find out sooner than me because you're an out-of-province student, right? I think that McGill has a policy to let everyone from the same batch know at once. International students have already found out and I think out of province is next, but they haven't even begun to interview in-province students for the regular MD programme, so I have to wait. Anyway, let me know how things turn out for you, is McGill the only school you applied to?

Guest peachy

Sorry about putting you on edge about the U of T notice. :( I'm also VERY on edge!! It's so depressing that they give acceptances now, but not rejections until later. I'd way rather have a rejection than be left hoping and waiting. To be honest, I think that the first batch of acceptances has probably already gone out - I really got the impression that they were going to do it as soon as possible after the interviews. My understanding is that they'll continue to give acceptances on a rolling basis as people reject, and as the second interview weekend happens.

If I get into the MD/PhD program I hope to do my PhD in computer science, with applications to bioinformatics or health informatics. I've applied to a couple master's programs as a backup, in computer science. I wouldn't tremendously mind doing the master's first, actually, I think it would be fun for a year. I just SO don't want to go through the applications process again. If I don't get in this year, I'll rewrite my MCATs this summer, and then apply much more widely - to every MD/Phd program in Canada, and a bunch in the US.

I definitely got asked about what I want to do my PhD in. There was a lot of emphasis on this since I don't have a life science background. It was hard because I just don't know exactly what research I want to do - I just know that I want to be a doctor, and I love computer science, and that there are tremendous opportunities to integrate the two in all kinds of different research. They grilled me on this, though - do you have a role model who has integrated these areas? Why not just do a PhD? How will the medical training inform your research? Would you be happy doing 90% research and 10% clinical? What exact areas do you see as important in integrating the two? Given that the interview was only twenty minutes long, it probably took up more than half the time.

Did they ask you what kind of research you see yourself doing? Do you want to continue doing the research (presumably biochem?) that you're doing now?

Sorry again about putting you on edge. It wasn't my intention to make you anxious, just to share the information. :(

Would you do the straight MD program if you got in to that alone?

Guest McGill03

Biochem10:

I applied to the four Canadian schools which offer MD/PhD programs that I'm eligible for: U of C, U of T, McGill, Dal. (UWO has one, but I didn't have the prereqs, and UBC only accepts 2 OOP, so I didn't think it was worth my time to apply.)

Peachy:

Did I hear you right? I'll hear back from the UT MD/PhD program before May 30th??? Did they ever tell me that in writing, or are they waiting for the interview? (March 28). And if it makes you feel better, I got grilled at McGill about (not) having a role model in field, Chemistry. It's not an uncommon combo in the states, but unheard of in Canada, to the best of my knowledge.

Guest peachy

McGill03, my understanding is that they will contact a small number of candidates right away, but that most of us will indeed have to wait until May 30th. That's interesting about McGill asking you the same question!! It had totally never occurred to me, personally...

Guest McGill03

Hmm... I almost wish I didn't know that. It's going to be constantly on my mind after the interview!

And about the question: I'm not sure if they ask everyone that, or only the people with "unusual" academic backgrounds... I had never thought of it before, but I'm definitely going to think about it before my U of T interview.

Guest Biochem10

Hi Peachy, I wrote this whole long message yesterday and it got erased, so here it goes again. I also got asked in which field would I like to do my PhD, who are my role models and where do I see myself in 10 years. I think your background makes you a very unique candidate for this program, I don't think very many people applying have research interests in computer science and medicine. I will do my PhD in molecular biology (yeah, I know, not very unique) and if I don't hear anything from the MD/PhD program in a month, I will submit an application to the SGS at U of T. If I happen to get into the MD-only program, I will definetly accept because it's always easier to apply to do a PhD later, but there will be no guarantees that I'll get a second shot at an MD-degree. (Although in my interview I did say I would be persistent in persuing my MD/PhD goal). Anyway, I'll let you know as soon as I hear anything. Thanks for sharing your info...it put me on edge, but that's okay, it's exciting!

Guest Kirsteen

Hi peachy,

If you're interested in combining computer science with health care then you might wish to have a look at UofT's collaborative program: Health Care, Technology and Place. Following is a blurb from the CIHR site, describing the program:

"Health care, technology, and place

Although they remain vitally important, hospitals and other institutional settings no longer represent the "hub" where the majority of health care activities take place. Instead, new technologies bring many health care services to settings that were designed for other purposes, such as homes, schools, stores, workplaces, and websites. As a result, diverse policy sectors, including housing, social services, education, and immigration are increasingly involved in the delivery of care.

HCTP program prepares researchers from a range of disciplines to understand, explain, and improve outcomes associated with these fundamental transformations in health care services and delivery. Generous Doctoral and Post-Doctoral fellowships and mentorship opportunities are available to candidates in medicine, nursing, engineering, architecture, social sciences, the humanities, and law. Join us in rethinking health care."

Here's a link to the Faculty of Medicine Research Office website that tells you a little more about the program:

www.library.utoronto.ca/m...P.htm#post

Cheers and good luck,

Kirsteen

Archived