Premed 101 Forums

Interview details

Guest doctorfunk

Guest doctorfunk

I was wondering, is the UofT interview open or closed? (Do your interviewers read your OMSAS application and essay or do they know nothing about you?)

When I interviewed there last year, both the student and the faculty interviewer had my essay in front of them and had obviously read it quite carefully. They were prepared to ask about and discuss specific examples that I used in my essay. I don't know if they had my autobiographical information too...they didn't ask anything directly from it if they did.

• 3 weeks later...
Guest doctorfunk

Is it counter-productive, then, to say stuff that is already contained in your essay? For example, won't simply restating your reasons for wanting to become a physician (which was carefully thought out and articulated) to the interviewers seem redundant?

Guest kernelhoover

How does the admissions comittee make their final decisions after interviews have been completed. Is it based entirely on your interview performance or does the interview just make-up a portion of your composite score like U of A?

Guest DonaldKaufman

Can any U of T moderators confirm this? It seems like a strange method of evaluation - do your reference letters contribute to your evaluation? Here's a question that was probably answered earlier - does U of T have cutoff GPA and MCAT scores that determine who is interviewed? And how many applicants are usually interviewed? Should this be a new topic? Am I asking too many questions? Too much coffee?:rollin

Guest aneliz

I believe that UofT has 'minimums' for GPA and MCAT (3.60 and 7's and N) if I'm not mistaken....however unlike other 'cut off' based schools, getting the minimums in no way guarantees you an interview. It just means that they won't even entertain interviewing somebody with a GPA and MCAT's lower then their minimums. As for how UofT actually decides who gets an interview and when it will be....that is one of the great mysteries of modern life. All we know is that it has something to do with some combination of your references, autobiographical sketch and essay. As for how they're marked, who does it and how much of the interview decision process relies on this mark...I really don't know. UofT is kind of a secretive place when it comes to admissions.

Best of luck!

Guest cheech10

It's not really secretive. The minimums are posted on the faculty FAQ for admissions. The 60/20/20 breakdown has also been widely disseminated over the past few years. However, take the 60/20/20 breakdown with a grain of salt; a poor interview WILL jeopardize your chances for admission, despite only being worth 20% of your evaluation. Also, I don't believe references are extremely important.

Guest Kirsteen

Hi guys,

I believe that the UofT MD Admissions system overhauled their admission policies this past year. With that in mind, have they maintained the post-interview, 60/20/20 system? Has anyone read anything to that effect recently?

Cheers,

Kirsteen

Guest doctorfunk

I just finished my UofT interview today, and nobody there said anything about the 60/20/20.

It may have been broken down in that manner in the past, but this year.. who knows?

Guest peachy

Reference letters, eh?

Are mods allowed to say whether the evaluation on the interview is supposed to be based on the _interview only_ or on whether they think you're a good applicant in general? (I would imagine that having so much of our files available would bias the interviewers to whether we were good to start with)

Guest OT5er

Hi all,

I am not sure what we are allowed to disclose so for integrity if you have questions you should direct them to the MEDED office at UofT. However, keep in mind knowing the way that things are scored will not help you much. I posted a long message under the topic of "my interview experience" . Basically be prepared and have a planned approach but do not have too many planned answers. That is the best advice I can give you.

Also in the medical world...people may have preconcieved ideas about you as a physician (they may have bias from word-of-mouth, papers, media, etc) and it is your job when you meet the patient to introduce yourself and prove yourself so they can get to know you regardless of their preconcived ideas, to trust you and "like you". That is the same concept in the interview. - Hope this helps a bit!

GOOD LUCK ALL!

Edited by Akane200:

My intent is not to undermine the U of T admissions process, as should also be that of 0T5er. His info is not entirely correct with regards to what the interviewers receive for materials to use (but I will not confirm or refute what he wrote above). As well, his opinions are his own only. I would hope that in the future that he would be wise enough not to disclose things that should not be public. He may be enthusiastic, but don't give the other 0T5's a bad reputation for not being able to discern what is and isn't confidential to U of T meds admissions. The truth is that even the student interviewers don't know who gets in and who doesn't. There isn't a magic formula, and the interview is just about getting to know the applicant. Don't get mixed up with the numbers. And don't get obsessed by advice given by this naiive interviewer like this one. What worked for him, will not work for someone else. How he grades interviews will not be exactly the same as his colleagues in 0T5. But if this thread continues to try to undermine the admissions process, you may have to take your discussion with 0T5er elsewhere.

Thanks. And good luck to everyone who applied.

Akane200, Third year medicine, U of T

Archived