Premed 101 Forums

Everytime I do something good, something BAD happens to me...

Renin

Within the last month...

#1) I hold open a door for a lady, and somehow she manages to smack her hand against it, and yells at me for breaking her finger.

#2) I donate 20 lbs of goods to a homeless shelter. I drop it off. My friend and I get a parking ticket because it's a loading zone we parked in, even though there were no signs and we were there no more than 10 minutes.

#3) I decide to not take the bus one day and walk to my destination. I nearly get run over by a Vespa on the SIDEWALK. Crazy...

#4) I go to visit a house-bound old lady and take her ice cream and visit with her. I get caught in a huge rainstorm on the way back. I fall in mud. Then get a complaint from the super because apparently I track mud all over the place.

So I'm afraid if I become a doctor and I help people, I'm going to get hurt more. HELP!!!!!!!!!!!!

lol this reminds me of when I was taking a three-hour class in the fall. We got a break halfway between and my friend and I usually went for some tim horton's. Well one day I held the door for a pair of old ladies, and then we continued on to tim's. The awesome part was that the ladies, whom I had just helped, just lifted up the cloth divider for the line, and cut in front of us.

Take this as a lesson, go be a doctor and help children.

I'm sure there are tons of other good things you did that didn't turn into bad experiences. Sometimes we just focus on traumatic events and don't see past them; and yeah, s**t happens, to all of us, even while doing good...

You overestimate the amount of good things I do :)

You overestimate the amount of good things I do :)

And I'm sure you underestimate it (reread my first post and you'll see that I already pointed this fact out). ;)

Come on Renin; smile and do good ! Don't be afraid and karma will take care of the rest (disclaimer: with the occasional few bumps you might have experienced).

And I'm sure you underestimate it (reread my first post and you'll see that I already pointed this fact out). ;)

Come on Renin; smile and do good ! Don't be afraid and karma will take care of the rest (disclaimer: with the occasional few bumps you might have experienced).

Heehee... Thanks :)

I try.

At the risk of sounding ultimately cheesy, your predicament reminded me of Mother Theresa's 'Do It Anyway' poem:

People are often unreasonable, irrational, and self-centered. Forgive them anyway.

If you are kind, people may accuse you of selfish, ulterior motives. Be kind anyway.

If you are successful, you will win some unfaithful friends and some genuine enemies. Succeed anyway.

If you are honest and sincere people may deceive you. Be honest and sincere anyway.

What you spend years creating, others could destroy overnight. Create anyway.

If you find serenity and happiness, some may be jealous. Be happy anyway.

The good you do today, will often be forgotten. Do good anyway.

Give the best you have, and it will never be enough. Give your best anyway.

OK, now you can call me cheesy, lol :P

ps: The moral of the story is: Do good things anyway! I'm sure lots of people appreciate you for the good things you do :)

At the risk of sounding ultimately cheesy, your predicament reminded me of Mother Theresa's 'Do It Anyway' poem:

People are often unreasonable, irrational, and self-centered. Forgive them anyway.

If you are kind, people may accuse you of selfish, ulterior motives. Be kind anyway.

If you are successful, you will win some unfaithful friends and some genuine enemies. Succeed anyway.

If you are honest and sincere people may deceive you. Be honest and sincere anyway.

What you spend years creating, others could destroy overnight. Create anyway.

If you find serenity and happiness, some may be jealous. Be happy anyway.

The good you do today, will often be forgotten. Do good anyway.

Give the best you have, and it will never be enough. Give your best anyway.

OK, now you can call me cheesy, lol :P

ps: The moral of the story is: Do good things anyway! I'm sure lots of people appreciate you for the good things you do :)

Aww, that is so cute! I love it!!!

Within the last month...

#1) I hold open a door for a lady, and somehow she manages to smack her hand against it, and yells at me for breaking her finger.

#2) I donate 20 lbs of goods to a homeless shelter. I drop it off. My friend and I get a parking ticket because it's a loading zone we parked in, even though there were no signs and we were there no more than 10 minutes.

#3) I decide to not take the bus one day and walk to my destination. I nearly get run over by a Vespa on the SIDEWALK. Crazy...

#4) I go to visit a house-bound old lady and take her ice cream and visit with her. I get caught in a huge rainstorm on the way back. I fall in mud. Then get a complaint from the super because apparently I track mud all over the place.

So I'm afraid if I become a doctor and I help people, I'm going to get hurt more. HELP!!!!!!!!!!!!

Maybe you are using up all your bad Karma now before you become a 100% MD :P

Maybe you are using up all your bad Karma now before you become a 100% MD :P

Hopefully I'll use it all up before clerkship or else I'll never be an MD.

I can see it now... DID YOU HEAR ABOUT THE CLERK WHO SAVED THAT OLD MAN'S LIFE BUT MANAGED TO KICK HIS DOG IN THE FACE?!!!!

Archived