Premed 101 Forums

If you have an interview invite...

Guest DHP62

please post your last name initial.

I have a theory that they both read essays and send invitations alphabetically.

Just wondering if its true...

Thanks!

DHP62 - it's only Feb 3rd! no need to get nervous.

Reading on other posts suggests that they tend to do stuff in batches, unless things have changed for this year.

Regarding the alphabetical sorting, I interviewed last year on May 10th i think, and i saw a bunch of people i knew there - and their last names, including mine, were "S". However, that's pure speculation and probably random coincidence.

bring on the midterms...:)

Guest Biochem10

I heard (probably on this website) that the reading of essays is done in batches that are picked randomly, not alphabetically. Don't worry yet, my guess is that only the feb 28/march 1 & 2 interviewees have been notified. They will probably send the next batch of invites at the end of the month. (for the end of march dates)

Guest Namgalsip

"B" for me. However, I am almost certain that they send the interview invites in batches, as no one I know (and no posters on this site) have received any notices for weekends after March 2nd. I wouldn't worry too much at this point...it's way too early to tell.

Nams

Don't worry...I didn't here anything from UofT until the beginning of May last year....I interviewed on May 12 and my last name is not at the end of the alphabet. I too have heard that UofT works with random batches.

Guest ekimike

L" - have an interview on February 28th. I wouldn't worry about it too much. Based on the experiences of some of my friends who have applied to UofT in previous years, I think that "aneliz" is right - they review applications in random batches.

I thought it might be helpful/interesting if those who have already been invited for an interview at UofT post their gpas. Mine is above the supposed 3.6 cut-off (3.77 after OMSAS), but I've yet to hear from them (yet). I do, however, have an interview elsewhere, so far.

Anyhow, if you don't mind humoring me...please, do share :)

• 3 weeks later...
Guest thelaze

I just got my invite yesterday and my weighted GPA (that is, as determined by U of T's weighting formula) is 3.77.

I thought it would be nice to let you guys know that it doesn't necessarily take a 3.9 to get an interview. I certainly didn't have high hopes for getting one what with all the hype about U of T's GPA requirements. I would have been a lot easier on myself if I'd known I had a better chance than I thought I did.

Good luck everyone!

Hey thelaze,

Just wondering: did you get your invite by email or snail mail? It would help to know whether to stalk the mail-carrier or to obsessively check email. . .

BJ

Guest thelaze

It's for March 29th and I just got it by snail mail last night. No email notification has occurred.

It was dated Feb 17th - which is odd since I live in Toronto and it took a week to get from U of T to me, whereas every other Ontario school I applied to got their mail to me the next day.

Just another sign of the wacky, inconsistent enigma that is U of T's admissions.

P.S. My apologies for the double post above.

Guest kernelhoover

I received an invitation to interview on March 29 yesterday. My gpa is around 3.85 after doing the U of T conversion. It appears U of T showing a little flexiblilty with their MCAT mins. It looks as though they are allowing scores with one point below the min in one section. Mine were 8V 13PS 14BS and QWS.

Does anyone know how many people U of T plans on interviewing this year?

I've always had a feeling that May interviewees are at the bottom of the ladder because all of them were notified shortly before interviews and as far as I know, they were ALL on waitlist. (I personally don't know anyone who got interviews in May and accepted, anyone knows any?)

So i called admission a few days ago. The lady insisted that they would avoid May interviews but could not garantee me that there wouldn't be any. (I was scheduling my summer vacation) The admission lady also told me that late interview will only happen if people cancel their interviews in scheduled weekend, i.e. March 1, March 29 and April 12.

Does that mean the "replacement interviewees" in May are less qualified before they even get interviewed?

I would be shocked if what you suggested were correct. I know one _amazing_ applicant who was interviewed that last weekend and got in first round. And I thought aneliz had mentioned that she was interviewed right at the end (and got in first round) as well, but I could be making that up.

Guest Kirsteen

Hi there,

I too, know someone who was called in early May to interview in May last year. She received a first round acceptance. The application batches are supposed to be assessed in a random fashion, although it's more than likely that the first batch contains little or no graduate applicants since their supplementary graduate materials are not sent in until mid-January.

Cheers,

Kirsteen

Guest whenwillithappen

I know three people interviewed and accepted first round at UofT...That should be pretty clear to earlier inquiries.

Myself, and two of my classmates were interviewed on May 12 (or 13th?) of last year and we all got in first round.

From what I understand, there are 3 random batches of interviews. I didn't find out I had an interview until late April! I do beleive GORD's statements are innaccurate. U of T moderators care to add anything?

Guest aneliz

Me too. I interviewed on the Sunday of the last interview weekend in May (read: last possible interview time). I guess I probably interviewed on the same day as you V. I got in first round at UofT, but chose to go to UWO instead. So, I think that the earlier post about people being 'at the bottom of the ladder' if they interview in May is entirely garbage. I also know of one other person that I interviewed with that day who also got a first round acceptance...although he declined it to do his Master's at the University of Glasgow on a Commonwealth Scholarship....hardly a bottom of the ladder applicant!

Not hearing anything yet is not necessarily bad news. Remember, until you have a rejection in your hand, you haven't been rejected yet! :)

Archived