Premed 101 Forums

Shadowing doctors as a premed

Has anyone had any experience with this? If so, how did you get this arranged? Shadowing is something that I would seriously like to do before applying to med school this application cycle (for obvious reasons). I volunteer at a hospital now but this mainly involves entertaining patients, so there isn't a lot of (or any, really) opportunity to "see what doctor's really do" (in less-than-graceful terms). I was thinking about just e-mailing the volunteer coordinator and inquiring, but I am wondering what other people's experiences have been.

Has anyone had any experience with this? If so, how did you get this arranged? Shadowing is something that I would seriously like to do before applying to med school this application cycle (for obvious reasons). I volunteer at a hospital now but this mainly involves entertaining patients, so there isn't a lot of (or any, really) opportunity to "see what doctor's really do" (in less-than-graceful terms). I was thinking about just e-mailing the volunteer coordinator and inquiring, but I am wondering what other people's experiences have been.

Discussed many times in the past. A quick use of the "search" function should help you find many threads.

Archived