Premed 101 Forums

MCAT Prep Class - Drop?

touchthesky

Hey guys,

I have been a lurker on this site for quite some time and I just recently joined as I will be applying to med school this fall. I am writing my MCAT for the first time, and I am currently enrolled in the Kaplan prep course. I find the online materials great, but the in-class sessions, for me, are a waste of time. It's 3hrs Mon and Wed, and I really get nothing out of it, especially since I don't even learn much from lectures anyways (I'm at U of T, and I record all of my lectures and listen to them at home - I learn WAY more when I am alone).

To drop the class or to stay? I am not sure what to do. The lessons are available online through "lessons on demand", so I have all the material right in front of me.

Thoughts?

Thanks in advance! :)

If you're not getting anything out of the classes, drop them. Can you still get your money back?

I registered for Princeton, and I dropped out of that one pretty quickly. I found that you dont need to take a class to get a good mark. Just read the books. Although I did find that Kaplan and Princeton had way too much material in their books...a lot more than what you actually would need to know for the MCAT.

If you're not getting anything out of the classes, drop them. Can you still get your money back?

I registered for Princeton, and I dropped out of that one pretty quickly. I found that you dont need to take a class to get a good mark. Just read the books. Although I did find that Kaplan and Princeton had way too much material in their books...a lot more than what you actually would need to know for the MCAT.

At this point, I don't think I can!! Haha...it's ok though, I tried the first few classes, and I even switched out of one to try a new TA, and it was still useless. Being in a class, I find, slows me down - so I think I will just focus on doing the review on my own.

Thank you for your feedback :) good luck with your review!

I agree about Kaplan and Princeton having too much material. Plus my many other people said the same thing. It can overwhelm you.

Holy shoot- if you can't get your money back do not drop out!! That's 120o down the drain.

Take what's valuable. I personally hate Kaplan but hey to each their own.

Haha...not drop out completey, but not go to the classes. The classes are a waste of time!! The Kaplan course has the lecture online (lesson on demand) so it defeats the purpose of listening to a TA who can't even answer questions half the time...true story: one of my TAs couldn't spell "therefore", "nevertheless", or define an adverb. haha.

So ya - I am still in the course per say, but not in the class. In retrospect, I would have just chosen the online student option.

Haha...not drop out completey, but not go to the classes. The classes are a waste of time!! The Kaplan course has the lecture online (lesson on demand) so it defeats the purpose of listening to a TA who can't even answer questions half the time...true story: one of my TAs couldn't spell "therefore", "nevertheless", or define an adverb. haha.

So ya - I am still in the course per say, but not in the class. In retrospect, I would have just chosen the online student option.

I Agree!!!

Archived