Premed 101 Forums

UWO vs. U of M

I have been accepted into both UWO and U of M but I am having difficulty picking which school to attend. I know both have great dental programs but I would like some more feedback about the program from UWO.

It would be much appreciated to get feedback from others.

Thanks

I went to undergrad at UWO

London is a great city to chill and closer to major cities

I've heard that they have got some newer equipments recently

If I had to choose between the two, UWO

What major cities is London close to? I would hardly call a 2 and a half hour drive from Toronto close...

Also, Western and Toronto are both pretty old school. Both schools still haven't implemented digital x-rays - a staple in any private practice today. Which new equipment has Western acquired?

I don't know anything about Manitoba, except that I've been to Winnipeg once, and I couldn't find a downtown =\.

What major cities is London close to? I would hardly call a 2 and a half hour drive from Toronto close...

Also, Western and Toronto are both pretty old school. Both schools still haven't implemented digital x-rays - a staple in any private practice today. Which new equipment has Western acquired?

I don't know anything about Manitoba, except that I've been to Winnipeg once, and I couldn't find a downtown =\.

Hello contach

2 hours is not too bad I think haha oh well it's really personal issues i guess.

I don't have a detailed idea of how UWO/U of M dental schools are like but it's just what I've been hearing and seeing when I attended undergrad.

I thought Winnipeg is pretty sad compared to London.

Just my two cent

I see you on SDN and here alot, have you decided where to go yet

I am from Winnipeg so it would be easy to stay here and attend U of M but I want to find out more about and UWO and see what others think.

If I would benefit more from attending UWO, I would like to know that before I make my final decision.

I am from Winnipeg so it would be easy to stay here and attend U of M but I want to find out more about and UWO and see what others think.

If I would benefit more from attending UWO, I would like to know that before I make my final decision.

oh You are IP

in that case.. wouldn't it be nice to stay closer with your family and friends?

I am in province too and accepted to U of M, and that's the only school I applied. I don't know much about UWO, but I think U of M dentistry tuition is probably a lot cheaper compare to UWO (from my impression), that's a key factor for me.

Also this is a stupid question, but is dentistry considered as undergraduate or graduate????

Dental school is considered undergraduate. Correct me if I'm wrong but I think for it to be considered grad school you need to be granted a Masters or PhD?

UWO used to have digital radiography for a bit but idiot students broke it so they went back to standard x-ray film. Digital equipment is far more expensive. But even then the kids can't handle it. So many times this year the processors have been broken because people don't know how to unwrap the damn film from the pack.

I think both are good schools. I am intrigued how the smaller class sizes and differences in the region would affect the dental education. I feel like going to Manitoba would be a good experience, although perhaps for not everyone.

I lived in London for a year and it's an awesome city. As long as they don't make you do your first 2 years with med students taking oral bio all day and not touching a handpiece, I would probably pick UWO. Winnipeg winters are so long and depressing and the only thing to do is drink ;) I think it's a win-win situation.

If I were you, I'd definitely look into class sizes. I don't know anything about U of M, but I do know that UWO is in the process of completely revamping their program - I'm not sure if thats a good a bad thing, but just thought you should know!

well.. here's sth that i can tell you about UofM. If you wanna know more, u can ask me.

class size 29. i believe we have smaller class than UWO. so everybody knows each other. classmates are very close to each other.

tuition.. UofM is very cheap compared to other dental schools. We are slowing getting more high tech stuff, but that may take some time. I m not complaining though coz our tuition is very very cheap. (I often laugh at my fds at UBC about that)

I've been to London once. it looks like a small quiet town to me. Nice area for studying. Just that its airport does not have direct flight to everywhere in canada. You will rely on Toronto airport a lot if you are OOP.

Winnipeg flies to all major canadian cities directly. However, I must warn you that the campus is in an area that's not very safe. Walk with someone you know after dark if possible. In terms of entertainment... yes, it's a very dull city, but dental school is very demanding so you won't have that much time to be bored. Weather: expect snow from Nov to March. Yes, it's cold. Dress warm and you'll survive. I am from Vancouver and I am still alive. : )

I hope that helps. If you are OOP, you should decide soon and arrange for a place to stay. Fort Garry campus is v. far from Bannatyne and so dorm is not an option. Med Apt has a long waiting list, too.

Archived