Premed 101 Forums

B.Sc v.s B.ScN

If I was to do a BscN

I would have a job. But would I have the prereqs? Weigh the pros and cons.

You would have to check the prereqs out, not every med school has prereqs, go to their sites or check out the OMSAS Booklet), but the idea is intrguing, as it gives you a backup within healthcare and will expose you to experience with patients. I am doing a B. Sc. Sepcializing in Clinical Exercise Physiology, so I have plenty of time working with the chronic elderly, and as I learn better from a practical perspective, I am able to put all by theroetical knowledge into practice. I love my studies, I work terribly hard for my grades and together with my ECs and volunteering, I am literally totally busy all the time.

It is normal in the transition from high school to univerisity not to maintain the same high grades. THerefore, it is important to be able to stay on top of all your studies and assignments from the very beginning and to make your studies your priority ahead of anything else. Where I live, there is an EMS volunteer service responding to 911 calls and I take charge of calls, etc so that I know I am comfortable and respond approrpiately to medical emergenies and I have tested my myself in the field.

The key is to study something you are passionate about as you are likely to do better at it than something else. My last piece of advice is that you need to know how to study smart for you, we are each different, and the hours you spend studying is not necessarily an indication of how well you will do. We all mess up along the road, so when this happens to you, e.g., a very poor and unexpected grade, just move forward, s elf-reflect about what you did wrong and move forward! =Take a full course load each year. Best of luck.:)

I am a high school student who IS going to become a doctor.

haha:D determination is good. Are you starting undergrad this sept? Work hard in university. Volunteer and do lots of ECs, but be careful. And remember, dont get the best grades and do all sorts of volunteering because med schools asks you to; do it because you want to. Adcoms can tell if you're just padding your application. Good luck.

And as for prereqs: Most school's dont have specific prereqs. and even for the ones that do, you can just pick those courses (or their equivelants).

This is something I have searched on both on this forum and on SDN.

And from what I have been able to gather up here are some of the pro's and con's of doing a BSN.

Pro's

-----

- You learn how to use some tools such as stethoscope e.t.c

- Clinical Experience

- Something to fall back on incase Med doesent work out

Con

----

- Im not exactly sure how the educational system works in other provinces, but here in Quebec you have to complete health sciences in order to get into nursing and in doing so you basicly complete all the needed pre-reqs for Med anyways. I believe in other provinces you choose a major once you finish high-school and as a result you may not be able to get some of the needed pre-reqs.

- It is said that some adcoms frown upon people using BSN as a stepping stone to med.

- Nursing is somewhat of an intense program from what I read, It may or may not be harder than others ( Personally i think as long as you put enough effort you can get good grades in it regardless ).

These are the general pro's and con's about a BSN, if anyone has more or would like to correct any of these please feel free, I would personally appreciate as much information on this as well.

Archived