Premed 101 Forums

How do you prepare for shadowing a physician?

oreo

Hi everyone,

I'm gonna start shadowing a pediatrician next week and was wondering- what would you say is a good preparation for that? Because I have no clue whatsoever about physical examination/history taking. What do think?

Thanks!

Hi everyone,

I'm gonna start shadowing a pediatrician next week and was wondering- what would you say is a good preparation for that? Because I have no clue whatsoever about physical examination/history taking. What do think?

Thanks!

Physical Exam/History Taking = Toronto Notes, Bates, etc...

Are you a med student? Since you say you don't have a clue about Hx and PE, I'm gonna assume you aren't.

The MD isn't going to expect you to know anything. You'll probably just be following them around, not actively doing hx or PE's. The biggest thing is to just be interested and ask questions (Why are you doing that etc.). Nothing is worse than a person who shadows without asking anything. It's also very hard to learn Hx/PE from a book, especially without knowledge of the medical conditions in your differential diagnosis. Oh, and look and act professional (Dress nice, don't ass around etc.).

If you are a med student, you should probably do back over your clinical skills notes/book. Even then, pre-clerkship shadowing won't have you doing much (unless you know the doc really well and they feel confident that you can do the things they ask).

Are you a med student? Since you say you don't have a clue about Hx and PE, I'm gonna assume you aren't.

The MD isn't going to expect you to know anything. You'll probably just be following them around, not actively doing hx or PE's. The biggest thing is to just be interested and ask questions (Why are you doing that etc.). Nothing is worse than a person who shadows without asking anything. It's also very hard to learn Hx/PE from a book, especially without knowledge of the medical conditions in your differential diagnosis. Oh, and look and act professional (Dress nice, don't ass around etc.).

If you are a med student, you should probably do back over your clinical skills notes/book. Even then, pre-clerkship shadowing won't have you doing much (unless you know the doc really well and they feel confident that you can do the things they ask).

cool.

i have not yet registered at my med school. does that mean that i am not part of the college, and thus not legally allowed to "do" anything while i shadow? My shadowing appointment is in June.

You're only a member of you provincial college of physicians and surgeons if you have registered with them. Just being in med school doesn't automatically register you. My school gave us the paperwork to fill out within the first week of Sept when we started.

I suppose technically, you wouldn't be licensed in the province and wouldn't be allowed to practice medicine (students and residents have educational licenses I believe, so they need to be overseen by a full physician). I'm not a lawyer so I don't know the ins and outs of your particular situation. You could always phone the College in your province and find out. Or talk to the MD you are with if you are concerned.

You're only a member of you provincial college of physicians and surgeons if you have registered with them. Just being in med school doesn't automatically register you. My school gave us the paperwork to fill out within the first week of Sept when we started.

I suppose technically, you wouldn't be licensed in the province and wouldn't be allowed to practice medicine (students and residents have educational licenses I believe, so they need to be overseen by a full physician). I'm not a lawyer so I don't know the ins and outs of your particular situation. You could always phone the College in your province and find out. Or talk to the MD you are with if you are concerned.

Note that an educational license is not in fact a license to practice. The crucial issue is insurance, and unless you are shadowing as part of an official elective or school-related clinical session, you will not be insured, and hence should not be doing anything.

Archived