Premed 101 Forums

I can't get it off my mind! Nursing or Medicine

Hello there,

I've been contemplating in becoming a registered nurse and have applied to numerous nursing schools in BC and I'll be starting in spring/fall 2011 (nursing waitlist is notorious in BC). During my wait in getting into one of the schools, I am currently taking transfer credits at my local community college to build my credits.

Why am I taking credits while I wait?

Well first off nursing is not my first choice as a career. It's actually medicine. I can't get it off my mind, I can't stop thinking about it. I feel way too ambitious and unrealistic saying my dream career is becoming a physician, but that is my 'true' long term goal. I don't want to be one of those people who miss the opportunity and regret it later on in life. We live only once.

I understand that nursing is one the best careers out there. Nurses and doctors are in the same position, but do different tasks, however, they work as a team.

First off, my parents wants me to go into nursing because they want me to become financially stable. Then I will decide after to either pursue medicine or not. They support me going into medicine, but with the time (21 years old here with no degree) and finance, it is a real drag. It is hard going to college with a $10/job and not knowing what the future will hold if/not getting accepted to med school.

Until I get into one of the nursing schools, I will be transferring to UBC and try to obtain another BSc degree. I talked to UBC med about it and they said that they accept college nursing degrees, but is it a better idea to get another degree to boost my application to apply to other med schools in Canada? I feel way too obsessive here, but I need to talk to someone about this. I feel way too ambitious... What I am trying to say is, complete a nursing degree and another degree then apply to a med school

- I currently volunteer at a local hospital and will be transferring to a one-to-one patient visitation program

- In addition, I am a member with a non-profit organization that deals with eliminating human poverty, injustice, and etc.

- Swimming with two swim clubs

- Planning to join the Canadian Reserves for training

- I got NO degree yet! Unbelievable!

What should I do? It is always the back of my mind of becoming a physician. If I don't, I feel like a failure (for some apparent reason). Since I don't have many accomplishments in my life (never been in a sports team and etc.) I feel like becoming a physician is proving my deep accomplishment. I also want to be the first physician in my family. I understand the consequence of becoming a doctor and being a doctor.

If I complete a nursing degree I'll be around 27 years old. If I complete a nursing degree with another degree; I'll be 30 years old, but with great nursing experience!

Any advice? What's wrong with me, am I a perfectionist?

If you do go into nursing, you'll quickly realize that it's a highly skilled profession in which you get to interact with patients often in a much better context than do the docs.

Regardless, don't worry about your age... at all. You're young and clearly focused on the health field. This self-motivation is all that matters, whichever route you decide to go.

What should I do? It is always the back of my mind of becoming a physician. If I don't, I feel like a failure (for some apparent reason). Since I don't have many accomplishments in my life (never been in a sports team and etc.) I feel like becoming a physician is proving my deep accomplishment. I also want to be the first physician in my family. I understand the consequence of becoming a doctor and being a doctor.

QUOTE]

One more thing: Remember that getting in or not getting into med school does not define your worth, accomplishments, or how valuable you are as a person. One of the most amazing people I've met lives off of an ODSP cheque month to month and will never have the chance to go to school.

Hello,

I'm not sure I understand correctly, but why do you think you need two degrees? I don't see why a nursing degree by itself is not good enough to apply to UBC and other med schools (though there are some prereqs that you would have to do in addition). Yes the wait in BC for nursing sucks so you could use the wait to do the prereqs that aren't in the nursing degree OR to have a year to build amazing extracurriculars (go on a trip to 3rd world and observe surgeries, do more in the community, etc, etc). I also wonder if medicine is your ultimate goal, you could always forget nursing. Get a degree in kinesiology (if you end up not getting into med you could be a physiotherapist), biology (then after a few years you could apply to pharmacology), or a physiology degree (likely very helpful for when you get into med).

Basically what I'm saying is a nursing degree is great (in fact it was the degree I wish I had done) because if you don't end up getting into medical school, you have a backup plan. However, if you are not crazy about nursing there are other options that are still involved in healthcare (see above). I would say nursing is more difficult because of the long wait list and the difficulty of fitting in prereqs so if you don't care much about nursing, then don't do it just because of your parents!!!!

Good luck,

Laura

Ps, from my experience seeing my mother be a nurse (in the OR) and my shadowing at hospitals, though nurses and doctors are on the same team, the jobs are very different. In terms of training, lifestyle, hours, responsibility, amount of time spent with patients, organizing wards, and actual daily tasks. You might want to shadow both professions if you haven't already to get a feel of where you think you would fit in. If you want to be a doctor GREAT, if you decide not, that's okay, just don't get stuck with it because its 'what you always wanted to do' and feel like you can't change your mind.

I did my undergrad nursing in BC, if you already have a BSc you should be able to transfer into nursing much faster then being waitlisted. I transferred into nursing from SFU and was able to start in the next cycle. Also, UBC and UVic don't keep waitlists like the university colleges do so applications are accepted based on credentials rather then date, and at UBC you should be able to have advanced standing.

If medicine is what you want to do go for it. If you are in nursing it will be very difficult for you to do your undergrad pre-reqs for medicine while in nursing school. Nursing is a great career but it's not for everyone. The education is challenging and the grading is subjective, so don't go in nursing expecting to get a great GPA.

That said, I love nursing, and even though I'm actively persuing medical school, my job rocks. I've worked in the ER, ICU, transplant unit, and now in the OR. There are opportunities in nursing (like changing specialties) that don't exist in medicine. You also spend far more time with patients. Its very stable work and the $ is good...lots of overtime to be had :) .

• 2 months later...

Laura and others make sense. Don't just do anything b/c of your parents. I get the financial stability part and if you love nursing, then do it and switch into med school if/when you can. Life is about the journey and not the goal. Med school is way off and you need to enjoy what you are doing and be prepared to enjoy your backup plan as a career. If it is nursing, so be it, if not, there are lots of other amazing careers in hrealthcare. All of us want to be docs, all of us won't make it and those of us who are smart and practical, and not arrogant, ha ve a backup plan. You need to be happy with your backup plan.

You should try to get involved with both fields to see which one suits you. Most premeds are completely clueless to what healthcare is really about, and they just apply for medicine as it is the most competitive and thus they think it will be the most rewarding. That is not necessarily the case! Some people might even find it more worthwhile to save all those extra years of hardship when they can already help people, apply their knowledge of medicine/science in practical settings, and other 'med school' motivations in the nursing profession. In addition, don't forget about all the other areas of health care like respiratory therapy, occupational + physical therapy, paramedicine, lab technology, etc.

Archived