Premed 101 Forums

Corresponding level of courses

Guest Lactic Folly

Guest Lactic Folly

While reading the admissions info for U of T, I noticed they say applicants in the third year of their program should have three or more courses at the third-year level. Do they mean full courses? Four out of the ten courses I'm currently taking correspond to the year of my program.. how much negatively will it impact my application if I don't meet their guideline? :/

Thanks in advance.

Guest dogeatdog12

I think they don't want people taking so many BS courses that their GPA is high because they weren't even challenged. look at your transcript and be honest, I think that the same way they're going to judge.

Yeah. I think it's a pretty reasonable criterion too - I found third year courses to be a BIG jump in difficulty and expectations from second year courses. And then fourth year was another big jump. But first and second year courses are pretty much on par..

Guest Lactic Folly

I do have a smattering of first year courses in second and third year - some were required in the degree program (psychology), others I took because I was truly interested in them (linguistics). Introductory microeconomics and the concepts of opportunity cost and marginal benefit proved useful in understanding health care systems and rationing. These courses may not look as impressive as advanced organic chem on a transcript.. I suppose that will be left to the explanatory power of the personal statement :P

Archived