Premed 101 Forums

WRITING COURSES IN UNDERGRAD

Guest Pyrrolysine

Guest Pyrrolysine

Hey guys, I would like to have some opinions here.

Probably the biggest weakness most people will encounter on their MCAT is the writing sample. Speaking as an undergraduate student, I have not had a lot of practice with writing (being a science student) and I have no idea what to put down on the paper when I see those topics given in the writing samples. Some people told me there are some political issues, philosophical issues, ethical issues..etc..etc. This is heck of a lot of heavy duty stuff for the mind of a student entering second year. Of course, there will be issues I might be familiar with, and those I probably have never encountered before.

What would you recommend to take as a good writing course? I'm really tempted to take Political Science but I'm not sure it's a good idea. I need a good GPA as well as practice with writing. Political Science is not something I'm familiar with. Once again, I find myself in a dilemma. I need some help from somebody. Please reply soon.

Guest cheech10

The writing sample is not that bad. Just follow the instructions explicitly. Keep up with some current events, and practice different topics. I would concentrate much more on the verbal reasoning.

Guest TimmyMax

Hey,

I agree with Cheech- VR is ultimately what will make or break you on the MCAT, especially for science types like us. At this point, it would seem more productive to focus your energy on doing well on that section; well, spend as much time as you can afford- the deadline is quickly approaching! :P

The WS really isn't a big deal IMHO, and so long as you complete every task they expect of you in a complete and concise manner, you should be fine. Personally, I never did a "practice" WS, and I managed to do just fine in my two sittings (S both times). But then again, that's me and it's important to prepare in the way that you feel is most beneficial to you.

Best of luck!

Timmy

• 3 months later...

This is a question specific for Uoft, but anyone who has answer is appreciated...With regards to the WRT300H courses (non-credit) offered at Trinity, Innis Colleges, does anyone know if this is acceptable for med school admissions? I ask because I would like to improve my scientific writing abilities, yet not kill my GPA at the same time (I will have enough credits this year to graduate with an Hon.BSc) Thanks guys/gals!!

Guest UWOMED2005

If you're really worried about your writing, take a first year English class. Classes like History, Classics and Poli sci help you PRACTICE writing, but if you don't know how to write an essay the prof in a history class probably won't take the time to teach you (excepting possible outside of class help.)

I found the MCAT was looking for fairly rudimentary clear cut writing skills - an essay with an introductory paragraph with a thesis statement, a number of body paragraphs where you make subarguments supporting your thesis, and a concluding paragraph which summarizes your points and reasserts your thesis. Nothing fancy - as long as you stick to that format and have good spelling/grammar skills you should be able to do well.

Guest cheech10

Since WRT300H is non-credit, I don't think it would be considered in any way by medical schools (although it might make you look well-rounded). It almost certainly could not be used to satisfy any course requirements. As always though, check with the Admissions office to be sure.

Guest Chowchilla

there's a course that i'm considering...ENG 269Y -Writing: Purposes, Strategies, Processes.

Acceptance in ENG 269Y is not guaranteed...permission of the instructor is the other requirement....also two writing samples, plus an application of sorts.

sounds fun :)

Guest med2006McGill

Hi Chowchilla & Dmac,

I don't know much about ENG269Y but I took ENG100H (Effective Writing). When I took it, there were 6 major essays, one midterm and one final. However, I think the workload really depends on who the instructor is. It is a good writing course and it's only a half-year course (so it won't count as much as a full-year course).

As for WRT300H, I don't think it would be considered by medical schools since it's only a 18-hour non-credit course. It shows up on your transcript. However, I remember that I couldn't enter it into my OMSAS application, since it didn't have an option for "non-credit" courses.

Good luck!

For those of you considering UWO, keep in mind that the pre-reqs have changed effective this application cycle and you now need to have completed 1.0 credits in an arts or social science that is a legitimate ESSAY COURSE. These will be audited for their acceptability as an essay course. According to the definition of essay course that I got from Darla, to satisfy requirements, you must have written AT LEAST ONE full length term paper/essay (including footnotes or references) during the course. Essay question exams don't count. At western, these courses are apparently designated as essay courses by their course code.

Does anyone remember having to code in their essay course for the Western "essay course" prereq? I was just wondering how they're supposed to know which course is your essay course (because I don't remember having to code in that prereq for Western).

Guest UWOMED2005

They didn't have a "code" to designate non-science courses the year I applied. I think they just looked at the transcripts, and tried to figure it out themselves. It wouldn't surprise me if the same were true this year.

I'd also suggest come interview time, that if you're concerned about whether your courses "make the grade" as far as essay courses go, you call UWO admissions just to doublecheck those courses were assessed correctly. I did the year I applied, only to find they had assessed my non-science courses as science courses. It was easy enough to fix when I found out, but it could have been a sticky situation if I'd missed that fact.

From what I got from Darla, the admissions office will be auditing your transcript looking for acceptable essay courses...I believe that they will be using course descriptions published by your university to do this if your school doesn't designate 'essay' or 'writing intensive' courses in the course code. If your school designates essay courses by course code (like UWO does) then this will be much easier....I don't think that you had to do anything on your application...

Archived