Premed 101 Forums

ana301h1 useful for med school?

Guest Shahenshah

Guest Shahenshah

I have heard this course taken in UofT is quite useful for medical school..I am searching for any bio course to fill my 5 course load and I was just wondering if this is considered a really really hard course or is it just fair..also is this course lecture based (with text as a reference)..could someone please elaborate on this..thanx

Guest Kirsteen

Hi there,

In previous years ANA301H--Human Embryology--was deemed quite useful by the UofT medical school. Anyone who had successfully completed the course prior to enrolling in first year UofT meds used to be exempt from taking the first year meds embryology unit. I'm not sure if this is still the case, mind you. Also, ANA301H was notoriously difficult to gain entry to as the class generally filled up within the first few days of open enrolment on ROSI.

I haven't heard much about ANA300 with respect to utility in UofT meds, aside from the obvious overlap with meds anatomy classes.

Cheers,

Kirsteen

Guest Carolyn

I took both Ana300 and 301 (embryology) - they were a huge help for me in medical school - it is a great way to get a basic overview of both subjects and then you can build on it in medical school.

Guest Shahenshah

sorry...I have just edited my first post..I was speaking specifically about the ana301h1 embryology class..I basically want to know its usefulness and also if this is a very demanding course since I don't technically need it for my degree and I have a heavy semester next term..what do u think of it in terms of difficulty/usefulness (thanx for all the responses so far)

Guest cheech10

At UofT you can still be exempt from the embryology section if you take it in undergrad, since the same profs teach both classes. However, embryology comprises a *minimal* part of the first year curriculum, and it may not be worth your time to take it in undergrad.

Guest Namgalsip

ANA301 was by far the best course I have ever taken at UofT. It is VERY interesting and totally worth the time (which can explain the difficulty of getting into the course). I learned so much from it and I didn't find it too heavy. Plus, if you keep up, you can do very well. The average tends to be around low to mid 70s (which is much higher than most of my courses). I can't say much about how it prepares you for medical school but it's a very clinical course (especially Taylor's section) and can give you a 'little taste' of what med school courses might be like.

Nams

I would definitely recommend the human embryology course! I found it to be very interesting and it bailed me out during the embryology portion of our first unit.

When I took the course though, some of my friends complained about how the multiple choice questions may be quite tricky, but I thought it was alright.

I never regreted taking it.

Hope this helps!

AJ

Archived