Premed 101 Forums

Help - any advice?

funnyworld

Hi guys,

I am about to write my mcat for the third time next week due to the wonderfully delightful verbal section!! I was alright before - i had been studying steadily for a month and i did some aamc tests. But now, I feel too tired to do anything - i feel sleepy most of the time and I am unable to concentrate. While my verbal score was improving before, it has started to fall (along with physical sciences :( ) I tried to get enough sleep and take a few days off but it still does not wear off. I am completely shattered cause my test is next week and all this starts happening now. If anyone has been thru this phase and can give me some advice to recoup - I will be grateful :)

Good luck to all writing the mcat!!

To me, this could be due to two things:

1) You've reached your personal maximum amount of information acquisition for the moment, and trying to push beyond it at this point is just making things worse.

2) Your anxiety as the exam draws nearer is bringing up a host of symptoms, such as an avoidance impulse, manifesting as exhaustion, an inability to concentrate, leading to poorer practice test scores, etc.

Both of these things happen to me a lot before exams, and it's become a useful tool in my studying toolkit to be able to differentiate between these. When it's (1), it's incredibly important to take a break and give the information you *have* learned a chance to sink in. For me, I can usually tell when it's time to go back to the books because I start to get anxious enough about the upcoming test that I *want* to study more. But I don't force myself to go back before then. (Note: This strategy may not work for you. Some people do not enjoy studying at all, and would not ever hit a point where they *wanted* to study; in this case, the strategy would obviously fail.)

When it's (2), it's time to spend a couple minutes/hours doing something to bring my anxiety level into check, and then I force myself to go back to studying. If you've never heard of the Yerkes-Dodson law, look it up. You're trying to lower your anxiety level to a point that allows for maximal performance (in this case, information acquisition). Incidentally, this law explains why some people who have prepared more than adequately for the MCAT sometimes still bomb it--anxiety level is too high for good performance to be an option. (Oooh boy, can you tell I have a Master's in psychology? Lol.)

Funnyworld,

I totally hear ya!

My MCAT is next week, July 17th, adn I have hit a point where I just dont wanna have anything to do with this exam anymore. Science is still fine, but my verbal score is consistently disappointing, so Im now convinced I wont meet the verbal cutoff on the test day..this leads me to think ..whats the point in even trying now?

I usually love studying, but now I find excuses to avoid books, sleep early and get up late, take long showers, go for walks..only to avoid studying.

Cant take this pre test anxiety!:(

1) You've reached your personal maximum amount of information acquisition for the moment, and trying to push beyond it at this point is just making things worse.

2) Your anxiety as the exam draws nearer is bringing up a host of symptoms, such as an avoidance impulse, manifesting as exhaustion, an inability to concentrate, leading to poorer practice test scores, etc.

Both of these things happen to me a lot before exams, and it's become a useful tool in my studying toolkit to be able to differentiate between these. When it's (1), it's incredibly important to take a break and give the information you *have* learned a chance to sink in. For me, I can usually tell when it's time to go back to the books because I start to get anxious enough about the upcoming test that I *want* to study more. But I don't force myself to go back before then. (Note: This strategy may not work for you. Some people do not enjoy studying at all, and would not ever hit a point where they *wanted* to study; in this case, the strategy would obviously fail.)

When it's (2), it's time to spend a couple minutes/hours doing something to bring my anxiety level into check, and then I force myself to go back to studying. If you've never heard of the Yerkes-Dodson law, look it up. You're trying to lower your anxiety level to a point that allows for maximal performance (in this case, information acquisition). Incidentally, this law explains why some people who have prepared more than adequately for the MCAT sometimes still bomb it--anxiety level is too high for good performance to be an option. (Oooh boy, can you tell I have a Master's in psychology? Lol.)

Thanks for the reply switcheroo!! I use the same strategy as you to study so I know exactly what you mean. Anxiety has probably got the worst of me - I keep trying to decrease my anxiety but it skyrockets easily :( (Just to think of it - I should have done psych as my major -oh well :rolleyes: )

Gitanjali - Mine is on the same day too. Good luck on your mcat especially verbal!!

If you've never heard of the Yerkes-Dodson law, look it up. You're trying to lower your anxiety level to a point that allows for maximal performance (in this case, information acquisition). Incidentally, this law explains why some people who have prepared more than adequately for the MCAT sometimes still bomb it--anxiety level is too high for good performance to be an option. (Oooh boy, can you tell I have a Master's in psychology? Lol.)

High five switcheroo ! brings back mmrs from 1st yr :) lol.

Hey man,

what about sitting down and writing down exactly why you are doing all of this. why are you studying for the mcat, why are you writing, why do you want to go to medical school---- once you realize that DUDE you've been killing yourself over this stuff for this long now b/c you want it you will get that drive you need to get back on board. Also give yourself some time to relax and have a day where you just chill without feeling guilty or stressing about NOT studying and promise yourself you will go back to studying after that day.

Good luck with your tests you guys!

Hey man,

what about sitting down and writing down exactly why you are doing all of this. why are you studying for the mcat, why are you writing, why do you want to go to medical school---- once you realize that DUDE you've been killing yourself over this stuff for this long now b/c you want it you will get that drive you need to get back on board. Also give yourself some time to relax and have a day where you just chill without feeling guilty or stressing about NOT studying and promise yourself you will go back to studying after that day.

Good luck with your tests you guys!

Thanks Toodlee. It will all be over in less than a week - I really hope I don't have to write again!! :(

I was gonna say...what have you been studying? Lol.

Archived