Premed 101 Forums

The Notorious VR

Slimy

Hey guys

I got 1 month left till my first MCAT date and

my VR score doesn't seem to be improving from 7 at e-mcat! :(

I think, on top of it being hardest section on MCAT,

I lose focus, get tired of reading after like Passage III.

Anyone in slump like me???

Hey guys

Nope. I wrote the MCAT twice in the old format of 9 passages 60 questions 85 minutes. This new format is much better I think. Aside from keeping interested in reading, it sounds like you need to pick apart your method and take a serious look at were you are going wrong. Practicing is only one aspect of getting better. Finding a method that works is most important for you at this point.

And boost your confidence a little too. Saying that it is your first MCAT date implies you want to go through this hell more than once. Keep thinking positive!

You need to find out how to stay motivated. A huge part of the MCAT is about pushing the case. For me this is especially true for VR; in order to answer all the questions I had to move at an uncomfortably fast pace. If you're fatiguing, more practice is needed. I think that will boost your VR score too.

Yeah just only study timed, and try to figure out a way to enjoy what you are reading, as tough as that sounds....here some advice from one of my prev posts that may help a bit....

My improvements had really nothing to do with hours studied or anything like that. I'd say realistically I studied for 3 weeks 8hrs a day, + what would probably count as 1 week 8 hrs. a day just on and off studying throughout the second semester. I will say, concepts came much faster the second time around because I wasn't learning them for the first time.

What really helped me was the frameshift that I had while studying and writing. I realized, and I wish I had known this earlier, but the MCAT is not a science exam, it's a reading and thinking exam, it took me a long time to convince myself that all the answers I needed were in the passage. When coming across a concept I didn't remember too well the first time around it used to really stress me out, but I realized pretty quickly what I needed was either in the passage, in the question stem, or in the answers. So I'd say that change in perspective really helped a lot. Plus, I wasn't nearly as stressed about the whole thing, it's just a little test, there is plenty of times to write it again (it is a huge ripoff/scam though).

Since my verbal score was a bit of an anomoly (13), well I was hoping for a high VR because I was consistantly >12 >36/40 on all of my AAMC practice tests. I don't have much to share, other than, and this is going to sound really nerdy, I actually enjoy reading those little passages, I enjoy the topics and as I was doing the tests and the practices, I was always trying to find the authors point, becuase most of the time I genuinely wanted to know what it was. I think in a sense you can probably fake that a bit too, if you tell yourself I'm going to enjoy this topic, and going to suck up everything in it, rather than I hate this stuff and its boring, you will do better.

Good Luck.

Hey guys

practise, practise, practise my friend. practise timed, AND doing 7-8 passages one after the other. It sucks to do, and is hard to focus for that time, but it is the surest way! I wrote the MCAT 3 times and finally got my last writing into Verbal 11. Alot of people told me different advice but the biggest help really was just practise. Good luck!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Archived