Premed 101 Forums

practice vs test day

bubblebath

How much do practice scores correlate with actual scores?

I haven't been doing too badly on the Kaplan practice tests, but I have no idea where they stand in terms of difficulty (compared to the actual test). Especially VR... it's my strongest section on the practice tests but I'm worried that the passages on the real MCAT will be much harder.

In terms of difficulty I would expect the questions encountered on the practice test to be a fair representation of the questions to be faced on the real MCAT. As a disclaimer I haven't written the test yet either but it just doesn't make sense to me that the prep guides would water their questions down so to speak. So if you're doing well on VR now, I'd say that's definitely a good sign :)

The biggest difference I can foresee between practice scores and actual scores would be more intrinsic factors (i.e. anxiety on test day) rather than a marked increase in question difficulty. To prepare for this I would recommend simulating actual test conditions (if you aren't already) when doing your practice test so that you are familiar with the time limits, etc. and won't be so overwhelmed when it comes time to take the real test.

To be honest the only way to find out how your doing is to do the actual practice tests from AAMC. I found that the Kaplan tests I was consistently scoring 12+, but on the AAMC's i scored around a 9 or 10 every time... and ended up with a 10 on both of my official writes.

If you need extra practice I highly recommend the Examkrackers VR 101 Passages book. It seemed to have the best passages and questions out of all prep books. Instead of simply recalling information they made you infer things from the passage, which is similar to the actual tests.

Good luck!

im doing TPR, and im finding the AAMC pract tests a lot easier than the TPR.... so much so that on AAMC im averaging around 28-32, but the TPR tests i've done it's more like 24-28.....

anyone else?

yeh i feel the TPR tests always have 1-2 passages that contain unncessarily long question stem plus answers, so much so that the question itself is almost like a passage :P

Archived