Premed 101 Forums

Wanted: Psychiatrists

Awesome post! :) While I am still a 'lowly' pre-med (hehe!), I agree that life experiences (including careers) are 'journeys' over defined sets of events. Being too stuck on particular things happening at particular times can impede on amazing opportunities coming into our lives. I would hate to think how my life would have turned out otherwise if I had stuck to any plan and not been open to unexpected, but exciting, experiences.

It's the journey, not the destination :)

But try telling that to type A, go-getters (myself included)...haha

It's the journey, not the destination :)

But try telling that to type A, go-getters (myself included)...haha

Hehe! I think it's possible to be all of the above. Well, at least I am - darn older pre-med!

:rolleyes:

Back to the thread, psychiatry is what really got me excited about applying to med school. :)

• 2 months later...
Laika - how would you manage without a secretary? You'd have to answer phone calls for appointments / rescheduling while seeing patients, etc. On top of that, handling all the paperwork, correspondence, paying office bills etc...I think it would be worth it just to hire someone to do that.
I know a number of community psychiatrists that do not have a secretary. It's pretty typical, I think. Scheduling is less complicated than other specialties because you're seeing fewer patients, and probably seeing the same patients more frequently. Paperwork is less complicated because you're ordering far fewer and less frequent diagnostic testing. If your office is just you and a couch, office bills are far less.

Archived