Premed 101 Forums

average GPA and getting in

Guest 38x

k, depending on how exams go, i'll have a 3.82 to a 3.86 when I apply next year (i'm in 2nd year right now)

now, here's my question. with my 3.82, will i have to score in the top 10% (or higher?) on the interview and essay to get in?

how about with a 3.86?

Thank you all for your input

Guest cheech10

No one really knows how the GPA is scored, ie. how GPA is converted to a mark out of 60. That said, if we simplify things and consider one of the 3.85 GPA people to be totally average in all aspects, you would probably have to do somewhat above average on the essay and interview to be confident of a spot. The essay is VERY importnt though, since some people have been rejected in the past with similar (or higher) GPAs. So basically, give it your best, and best of luck.

Guest ThugJaan

Hey,

The average of people getting into med school is around a 3.85 or so. If you have a 3.82, you will need to have a pretty damn good interview and sketch to get in, esp. as a 3rd year student!

A 3.86 will make life easier, but you will still ned to be better than average!

The biggest problem ist hatyou are only in 3rd year [whenyou apply]. Most third year applicants are usually looked upon with less mercy and tend to require higher averages and more impressive sketches/interviews to warrant consideration.

Guest GD721

I am a fourth year applicant and I had an interview at UT in the first interview wkd and I only have a 3.79 UT converted GPA. I had a pretty good interview experience I thought but since my GPA is so low are my chances of getting into UT this year slim if not non-existent?

• 1 month later...
Guest markvivid

Sorry to bring this up, especially since this discussion was from so long ago, but I'm new to this entire forum. Its so helpful!

I'm a 2nd year student and will apply next year.

I have a 3.89 GPA. I totally thought I was ok in terms of my GPA, since I made the 3.6 minimum cutoff. I have heard that you really need a 3.8, so again, I was still fairly confident in my GPA (MCAT could be a different story :) )

But now you're posting, ThugJaan, has me worried. A person with a 3.86 still needs to be better than average?! What about a 3.89...? I realize you won't know specifics, so please excuse my paranoia. But with my 3.89...can I breath a bit easier? Or do I still have to be damn good (as a 3rd year student)?! yikes!

thanks for your help...any thoughts would be much appreciated.

mark

Guest UWOMED2005

Hey Thugjaan. . . sorry to butt in here, but what exactly is the difference between a 3.85 and a 3.82 GPA? If your class AVERAGE is 3.85, a 3.82 doesn't sound all that bad to me. . . but then again I'm *only* a Western student!

Guest Akane200

No one really knows how the gpa is scored. They evaluate your essay, ref letters and gpa before inviting you to the interviews. 3.82 and 3.89 are not very different (I think). What makes the difference is your personal characteristics.

As for being tougher on third year students, I don't think that there is such a thing. True, third year students may lack the life experience that someone with graduate degrees possess, but they aren't all that different from fourth year applicants (some of which, can be just as immature).

In our, class, the number of people who got in after third year exceeded those that got in after fourth year. It varies for other years.

Guest ThugJaan

Well that was posted a few months ago....no one really knows the story with how GPAs are judged. For the Western dude, what exactly is the difference b/w getting a P or a Q on your WS? or a 8 vs a 9 on the VR? All schools tend to spilt hairs at some point.

Most people I know in first year that got in after third year tended to have higher GPAS [>3.90] . But then again I have only talked to like 10-15 people as I don't ask everyone their marks. A 3.89 isa high GPA, but to be honest I don't think it is so high that you should walk in their thinking its going to be an automatic. You have a very good shot at getting an interview and you should then try your best on the interview and let the cards fall so to speak. I know people with 4.0s that were rejected. I also know people with 3.9+ GPAs that were not granted an interview.

Guest UWOMED2005

Good answer, Thugjaan. My point was that I don't think people should be stressing over whether they have a 3.82 or a 3.86; and I just noticed your point this week based on the response this week. There's not much difference in terms of a few 0.01 points on the gpa - as you pointed out, people with 4.0 GPA are rejected (most likely based on interview scores, at least that's my guess.) And all schools do split hairs at some point.

For the record, a good friend of mine just got into U of T from 3rd year. . . his gpa was probably in the 3.8-3.9 range (not sure how he did in 3rd year.) On that subject, I think I know someone in your class who got in after 3 years. . . first name starts with the same prefix as noradrenaline, and rhyme with "rain." I don't know the guy that well but he seems to be a good guy. He's a good buddy with a couple of close friends of mine. Then again, you've got a gazillion classmates ( :) ) so it wouldn't surprise me if you didn't know him, but he'd be a "chill guy to hang out with" so I'm sure either you or JL know him.

• 2 weeks later...
Guest Tanya23

The OMSAS booklets say that 3.6 is the bare minimum, but 3.7 is a more competitive GPA when applying to U of T. However, I read somewhere that, in reality, a GPA of 3.78 is needed before your application will even be considered. Has anyone out there with a 3.7 GPA (by the U of T weighting system) ever been offered an interview? Thanks very much!! Good luck, everyone.

• 2 months later...
Guest cheech10

No, except they need to remain above a certain amount for matriculation I believe. They receive your current marks only after the class has been decided upon (ie. send final transcripts after the acceptance letter is received).

Archived